250 1988 power valve NLA

So I got this 88 Motocrosser YZ250 from a friend, we called it the Clapper. He is been dragging this bike out to man trip for three years. He finally bought a 2005 YZ. So I told him give me the 88 I'll see if I can fix it. Well it had no compression because the rain gap was a mile wide. And then when I pulled the power valve, out this is what I found:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
The two halves had come apart some time back and now the pin holes that aligned it are oblong and partially broken. Part is "No Longer Available". I have a suggestion to find larger diameter pins, liquid metel, JB. How about you guys, what's your best suggestion?

SRAD97750

Staff member
I am posting this for comparison, as the 89 models are still available and used stuff is on ebay. Not sure if it will work for you though. Everything looks very similar.
Untitled.jpg

89.jpg

DAD1.JPG

Dad2.JPG
Dad3.JPG

Dad4.JPG

After evaluating the differences I have found they are identical except for the power valve governor arm attach style and the LH side on the 1989 has a set of stops in the cap.
The 1988 is a stud with a nut, where the 1989 is a bolt holding the arm to the valve itself.
I think you could figure out a way to mod the valve and governor arm from a 1989. Parts are available but not necessarily cheaper than oem.

Good luck and let us know what happens!
-BIG DAN :thumb:

For me nothing on EBay, not sure about scrounging up an 89 gov leaver, you find it a a page, link me to it. Maybe just the bolt to hold the arm on is all that's needed.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Babbittsonline has part number 3JE-1131A-00-00 in stock for a cool $160. This is the 1989 Valve.
Strangely, Chaparral shows this same part in stock but for $219
Seems like the 1988 and 1990 being unavailable, and the 1989 in stock at both places is an error of some sort.

I did some digging, but you're right, this PV market is currently DRY.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Talked to the SanClemente owner, his PV was toast as well and took him a month to find on eBay, said he would give me the bike for 4 hun because the valve cost him a bill a couple months ago. This is my buddies bike and he said lets keep it at around 5 for repairs. I am not charging any labor but I have 2 1/2 months to find one before the annual Man Trip to OW. Top end with bore to 68.50 is going to be just around 270 so wiggle room is not great. Might need to call him and see if he wants to add a couple hun, get the Clemente bike and rob all the good parts, make one nice bike out of the two and plant the other in the ground. :smirk:

To finish up this thread I found a 1987 that was almost identical. All the pertinent items were a match. Only thing different was the ridge in the center of half moon was not present on the 87. Bike went back together and did the job of hauling around OW Man Trip. Only thing is throttle sticks a little. The slide is pretty worn out on the carb but like Phil said, didn't want to spend to much on a loaner bike. So we dobed it, rider be aware, bike likes to keep on the pipe. :smirk: