Other 1980 gs450l problems

I decided to start a new thread on it.

The gs450l we picked up is all cleaned up and it started. we got it to run and even took it for a spin.

Today we tried again and the thing ran like :foul: it idles radically and sputters out at even the slightest throttle pull. we sealed off all the vacuum leakes, and still nothing. There are no airfilters on it, we just want to get it to run first. And there is smoke coming from the right carb... any help?

Pull both carbs and thuroughly clean them along with maintiance and a valve check assume the bike is a 4 stroke? The other thing I'd think is the carb is letting in too much fuel, more thaan likely the jet on the one carb is loose or came off.

yeah I will tear into the carbs again, to be honest I think on of the pilot jets came loose. I'll took into it tomorrow... Right now im watching APOLLO 18, it's..... Interesting haha.

yeah I will tear into the carbs again, to be honest I think on of the pilot jets came loose. I'll took into it tomorrow... Right now im watching APOLLO 18, it's..... Interesting haha.

I get the sig :lol: happend in my honda before with the main jet, get it taken care of man. Don't locktite it though, just wrench it down

Got it guys, it runs amazing and is really powerful. I was riding 50 mph in 2nd gear and then I shifted to third. I got a video of it running, and tomorrow Lynn is riding it to work with the GoPro hooked to it so we will have a video of it riding to. So tomorrow night or Friday I should have a video posted on her of it. Thanks for the help.

Oddest damn thing happened. Last night it ran terrible and just wouldn't do anything. Went out there today... Fired right up ran perfectly and cruiesed around. It just work out its own problems I guess, I left the spark plugs out for a night, don't know what that would do but it seemed to help. So not sure man, it was probably a vacuum leak and the silicone I put on probably set. Don.t know but it works fine haha.

SRAD97750

Staff member
I have restored/reassembled ALOT of bikes in the last few years. Sometimes they need to be run and run and run and then they will magically become smooth as butter. Patience is key with a bike that has been sitting. My 81 GS850 took 3 rides before it blew out all the cobwebs. Carb cleaning on the regular keeps peace of mind. -BIG DAN:thumb:

One thing about old street bikes that is different than old dirt bikes is the metal tanks. Metal tanks that sit tend to rust. That rust makes it into the carb and can cause issues. I have a 1980 CM400 that had it pretty bad. I never got that bike to run right without a fuel filter. There is not much room for one though so I usually use one of the 90 degree sintered metal ones that I get from RockyMountain. I just add one to my order when I'm buying something else.

I use the "large" version here http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/174/781/-/3769/Visu-Filter-In-Line-Fuel-Filter/FUEL+FILTER
Not sure if the smaller "standard" has enough fuel flow.