100% Newbie

Hi,

So I've wanted a bike since I was a teenager. Now at 32 I'm seriously looking to take the plunge. I grew up a mountain biker and now a competitive cyclist (oh no, not Lycra!). I'm 5'11 about 215lbs (built like a running back from years of football and such). I plan on taking an intro course very soon which is located near me. The clutch being where my front brake would be will throw me off for a while I'm guessing.

Mechanically I'm not the best but do work on my own bikes/can fix certain things so simpler is better. Looking for mostly trail riding in New England, no plans to compete, just get out in the woods and burn some gas. If it's like other sports/hobbies I'm sure people think X brand is better than Y brand and that debate will go on for years but I don't have a brand in mind.

EDIT: James pointed out budget, I knew I missed something: $3500/under would be best I think.

Thoughts/suggestions/opinions welcome!

Cheers,

Tim

James

Staff member
Hi,

So I've wanted a bike since I was a teenager. Now at 32 I'm seriously looking to take the plunge. I grew up a mountain biker and now a competitive cyclist (oh no, not Lycra!). I'm 5'11 about 215lbs (built like a running back from years of football and such). I plan on taking an intro course very soon which is located near me. The clutch being where my front brake would be will throw me off for a while I'm guessing.

Mechanically I'm not the best but do work on my own bikes/can fix certain things so simpler is better. Looking for mostly trail riding in New England, no plans to compete, just get out in the woods and burn some gas. If it's like other sports/hobbies I'm sure people think X brand is better than Y brand and that debate will go on for years but I don't have a brand in mind.

Thoughts/suggestions/opinions welcome!

Cheers,

Tim

Welcome Tim! :cheers:

One key thing you left out is your budget. Oh and yes every sport has brand whores...

Even a kdx 200 would be well well within your budget. Xr400 bulletproof, but heavy, air cooled, drz400 good bike, more powerful than the xr slightly less reliable. Kdx lightest, 2 stroke little more pep, wide ratio trans, can't go wrong with an old school Suzuki rmx250 or 2 stroke Yamaha wr 250 either

Thanks for the info guys!!! So what I am thinking is to go as cheap as possible (without buying junk) cause who knows if I will like riding as much as I think I will. I found a 1990 KDX200 for $600 on Craigslist. It needs a headlight, chain, and the brakes bled. Seller says it starts on 2nd or 3rd kick. Full gasket set included as well. I attached a pic even though it's hard to tell just by that.

Attachments

• 00B0B_8HhjTo8quvO_600x450.jpg
    00B0B_8HhjTo8quvO_600x450.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 18
it may be $600 but you need to make sure the motor is solid all the bearings, forks and shock is not toast. That $600 bike can turn into a $1500 bike real quick. Check the linkage bearings, shock bearing and wheel bearings for play. Also make sure the shock is not blown out and the forks are not leaking. NO knocks or loud pings or loud growling from the engine. Check the Air filter out, that is usally one indication on how he treated the bike. Ask him what ratio he ran the premix. If the guys knows his stuff about the bike then he may have taken good care of it and it will be worth it. If some kid owns it and didn't care for it properly then be affraid, be very affraid..

Thanks. That's kinda where I am going with this, it seems too good to be true. Seller says brand new rear wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, and shock eye bearings. I did send an email asking for other issues and what has been replaced.

Seller just wrote back with this info:
"I noticed a small seep around the seal for the clutch actuating rod on the clutch cover. It is a $6.00 seal, and easy to replace, but i have not had the time to replace it, and other than the brakes needing to be bled, and the chain the bike needs, it is good to go. I changed the coolant, and crankcase oil less than an hour of runtime ago."

You're a big guy (heavy) but used to running Mountain bikes - I think you would love a 2-stroke off-road bike (like the KDX 200 or the KTM) They are outstanding bikes. Last thing you want to do is get a bike that doesn't fit you and turns you off. By the way, I have a mint CRF230 that I'd sell you. And I mean mint! :smirk: :thumb:
Oh, and by the way, welcome to the site - hope you stick around :cheers:

Thanks guys! I hope the bike stays for sale for a bit longer. The wife and I made a deal, I get through the home purchase I am doing for a family member with the worst realtor I've ever dealt with and I get a bike. :ride:. I hope to stick around for a while as well!!