RM125 What gear oil do I put in my 2006 Rm 125 ? and also what mixture of gas/oil do i use?

I have a suzuki rm 125 and the carb leaks when i turn the gas on, ive had some people tell me to ride it and it will stop, is this true? I dont know if it is the floater in the carb or what if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated, thanks :ride:

i have a 2006 suzuki rm 125 and i dont know what gear oil to put in it, people at the bike shop told me to put ATF in it but i also heard not to, some others told me to put trans fluid in it idk what to do im still learning about bikes. Another guestion i have is what mixture of gas and oil do i use, ive been using 32/1 in it for awhile but it smokes alot.

SRAD97750

Staff member
i have a 2006 suzuki rm 125 and i dont know what gear oil to put in it, people at the bike shop told me to put ATF in it but i also heard not to, some others told me to put trans fluid in it idk what to do im still learning about bikes. Another guestion i have is what mixture of gas and oil do i use, ive been using 32/1 in it for awhile but it smokes alot.
WELCOME!
ATF is my preferred oil for a 2T transmission. I like how it makes the clutch feel.
Any engine oil will do as long as it doesn't include 'friction modifiers'.

32:1 is a good mix ratio for fuel/oil. But the smoking is because of the leaking float needle in your carburetor giving you an overly rich mixture (Air/Fuel). Clean the carb and set the float. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Dan just gave you the tuneup fix and cure for your flooding leaking carburetor. DONT ever try to fix smoking by reducing your oil to fuel ratio. a few simple steps are all it takes to actually fix it.

WELCOME!
ATF is my preferred oil for a 2T transmission. I like how it makes the clutch feel.
Any engine oil will do as long as it doesn't include 'friction modifiers'.

32:1 is a good mix ratio for fuel/oil. But the smoking is because of the leaking float needle in your carburetor giving you an overly rich mixture (Air/Fuel). Clean the carb and set the float. -BIG DAN:thumb:
Thanks soo much ive been wondering why it smoked so much

SRAD97750

Staff member
Thanks soo much ive been wondering why it smoked so much
So, if the smoke smells absolutely terrible, and not just alot of 2T oil/fuel. I would consider the wet crank seal has died. You would notice transmission fluid loss. This is absolute worst case scenario (don't expect it) and only a few bucks to remedy. -BIG DAN:thumb:

you will like the way it runs better once you set the float. if you dont have a manual we can walk you through it. one thing i would when you are in the carburetor is to see what size the jets are. check where the jet needle is set as well (that one is on the carburetor slide). if they deviate from stock more than 2-3 sizes figure out why that is before y ou run it, if it was set leaner (smaller jet sizes in other words). you will get people who try to overcome a rich condition by jetting down, and if you fix the float the engine may be lean enough after the previous bandaid approach to cause damage.

you will like the way it runs better once you set the float. if you dont have a manual we can walk you through it. one thing i would when you are in the carburetor is to see what size the jets are. check where the jet needle is set as well (that one is on the carburetor slide). if they deviate from stock more than 2-3 sizes figure out why that is before y ou run it, if it was set leaner (smaller jet sizes in other words). you will get people who try to overcome a rich condition by jetting down, and if you fix the float the engine may be lean enough after the previous bandaid approach to cause damage.
ok thanks so much

Dan just gave you the tuneup fix and cure for your flooding leaking carburetor. DONT ever try to fix smoking by reducing your oil to fuel ratio. a few simple steps are all it takes to actually fix it.

What you talking about?....when the crank seizes it will stop smoking, guaranteed

Last edited: