The Guns Thread

the lc9 doesnt feel much like a glock 43 to me. my son has a "shield" and neither he nor I would consider it an upgrade from the sr9 in reliability as far as misfeeds go (you can likely pound out a dozen magazines with either without it happening in ANY condition), between services. the smith is just a tad heavier.

Last edited:
the lc9 doesnt feel much like a glock 43 to me. my son has a "shield" and neither he nor I would consider it an upgrade from the sr9 in reliability as far as misfeeds go (you can likely pound out a dozen magazines with either without it happening in ANY condition), between services. the smith is just a tad heavier.
Ive shot over 1200 rounds though my sr9, not a single misfire after the first cleaning of the gun.

I like the sr9 and probably will end up owning one. Rugers latest polymers are really good and wonderfully reliable from what I am finding. I should have said LC9 above though in both instances. I think that the slightly more concealable nature of the lc9 might keep it in my pocket rather than the shield my son is carrying. For what I do on carry days one the lcp's in that too small 380 rides on my ankle. any larger, and I just couldn't carry it.

Absolutely LOVE my shield so far. Only got the opportunity to pop off a few mags while running some errands at the hunt club. Got this weekend off so I'm gonna head out to the range if I don't go riding :rocker: Not a huge fan of the LC9

After being around the shield for 2 years, and the lc9 not nearly so long, I think the ruger is better as a concealed weapon, just as reliable if not more so. I have a lot of pistols to choose from, probably down 20k rounds in a semi busy year. My son, probably 40k. the shield is better for the range, better for the competitions, but in my opinion, not quite as "hide away friendly". Large and noticeably heavier. Since I have other pistols that lend themselves better for shooting and competitions and are further up my list than either of the little guns mentioned for any carry other than deep concealment, the only reason for either the LC9 or the Shield would be for deep concealment. The Ruger for me would be better.

I have , for CC. Taurus millienium pt 111 pro stainless . Never leaves my side , been carrying it for about 8 yrs. Never a problem , use a Fobus over the belt holster , even wear it riding on the track and trail riding !!! For competition and qualifing I have a SR9 , never less than 98% for a 50 round qualifier . Texas DPS certified ..

Funny you mention Taurus. Much maligned. one of the ones I carry when I don't mind a noticeable bulge is the same gun you have in a 45acp. I live where it gets pretty cold. Your weapon may spend all night in your vehicle after having a fan and heater running humid snow melt air circulated throughout. typically my holstered weapons show frost on them after a day or two of that. Lots of them won't fire and reload as needed. That one always does, never have had a loading or firing problem, whether my reloads or any of the hollow point type bullets. It even cycles and fires 45 GAP. Not my favorite trigger, no where near as accurate as my reworked 1911's are. It is a 325$ "tool". Suggested to me by my favorite gun store owner for just the purposes mentioned. I trust it to fire over my glock, springfields, and the only sig I own. Next to a revolver, it is the most reliable pistol I have owned, and I got my first one in 1963.

After being around the shield for 2 years, and the lc9 not nearly so long, I think the ruger is better as a concealed weapon, just as reliable if not more so. I have a lot of pistols to choose from, probably down 20k rounds in a semi busy year. My son, probably 40k. the shield is better for the range, better for the competitions, but in my opinion, not quite as "hide away friendly". Large and noticeably heavier. Since I have other pistols that lend themselves better for shooting and competitions and are further up my list than either of the little guns mentioned for any carry other than deep concealment, the only reason for either the LC9 or the Shield would be for deep concealment. The Ruger for me would be better.

I can get rounds off much quicker with the Shield than with the LC9. I have a hard time with my weak pansy finger getting the trigger to break on the LC9, which results in me just jerking the trigger if I'm trying to rapid fire. The only major difference I notice while holding them both in my hands is the weight difference as you mentioned. However, it does not bother me while carrying. My confidence with using the Shield is much greater than the LC9. I am confident I'd be able to protect myself in a less than ideal situation with the Shield.

With all that being said, I'd love to shoot the new LC9S. Which I understand is the striker fired version of the original LC9. I'm sure that would be a more ideal carry choice for myself with my pansy fingers over the LC9. But overall, I'm happy with the Shield. As you said it's a great range gun and I manage to comfortably use it as my EDC.

I have , for CC. Taurus millienium pt 111 pro stainless . Never leaves my side , been carrying it for about 8 yrs. Never a problem , use a Fobus over the belt holster , even wear it riding on the track and trail riding !!! For competition and qualifing I have a SR9 , never less than 98% for a 50 round qualifier . Texas DPS certified ..
I was eye balling this gun but it was a little larger than what I wanted