250 The 1999 YZ250

Okay, I'm sold. I'll start yanking the engine today after work.
I want this thing to be right, I'm probably gonna have it for a long while.
Thanks for the link Dan, the gasket set is on the way.

Those key words would be OEM only. But it's your pocket book.
Quality over cost.

Thanks for the input Palmer. Point well taken. Maybe I'll order OEM head and cylinder gaskets and use the other less important ones from the kit. It was only $12.00. But my pocketbook is small, especially right now for obvious reasons.

Right now I am looking for a service manual. Know where I can get one?
I have looked on ebay and found a place called manualslib.com, and they both have manuals with some designations that I dont understand, or know if they pertain to my bike, nor do I know what bike I have...
Example, YZ250 (N)/LC.
See links below;
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...kw=1999+yamaha+yz250+service+manual+&_sacat=0

https://www.manualslib.com/1/1999+yamaha+yz250.html

How do I determine which bike I have?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Your Manual for a 1999 YZ 250 is HERE

Regarding the components you use for your bike, be it aftermarket or OEM. It has to make YOU feel good. If you're not comfortable using aftermarket, that's all you'll think about, which ruins the ride.
Use what makes you comfortable, not just financially.

I have used many top name aftermarket companies and had better than excellent experiences over the course of hundreds of rebuilds for customers and my own bikes alike. In fact I've never had anything but perfect results with aftermarket available today. Wiseco, Cometic, Hot Rods, Koyo, ART, Athena, UFO...

Your Manual for a 1999 YZ 250 is HERE

Regarding the components you use for your bike, be it aftermarket or OEM. It has to make YOU feel good. If you're not comfortable using aftermarket, that's all you'll think about, which ruins the ride.
Use what makes you comfortable, not just financially.

I have used many top name aftermarket companies and had better than excellent experiences over the course of hundreds of rebuilds for customers and my own bikes alike. In fact I've never had anything but perfect results with aftermarket available today. Wiseco, Cometic, Hot Rods, Koyo, ART, Athena, UFO...

I never had issues with aftermarket stuff until I got my RM250. Aftermarket Gaskets, bearings and seals have all given me issues on this bike. :noidea:

No argument here but.
Seals are not equal, ProX is equal to yamaha OEM. Same manufacture, Athena another good company for seals, as well as SKF. But Wisesco, Tusk, Cometic I have found the seals to NOT be equal. Case gaskets no big deal, but when it comes to head with compression involved of over 195psi, I would go OEM. If you look at RMATV like I said for the head, you will be pleasantly surprised at how low the price is now. I was buying these kits at 58, 48, and now they are under 30. All OEM everything from base gasket up, I bought 5 sets, 99 engine up all the same.

I much appreciate the replies, advice, and the link to the service manual. Tons of good info, and I trust all your guys' input, and I'm obviously in the right place for this.
At the end of the day, I will listen to all of it and make up my own mind. I have 30+ years turning wrenches, not so much bikes, but many different things and I've come to have a good sense about things. I've even worked on a 2-stroke diesel forklift, the only one I ever saw.
The way I see it, if it is going to be a hard part, like a head-gasket, something that if it fails it requires major work to repair, I might go OEM, depending on the disparity I see between the prices. I have had good and bad luck with after-market parts in the past, so I guess I'll just take a look at it and compare them and see.
I'm a single father that doesn't make a lot of money and I have a mortgage, so I need to be sensibly frugal where I can be.
But I do have a tendency to spend the extra dollars on things that give me piece of mind.
In the end, I'm sure all will be good.

two stroke diesels were st one time VERY common. truckers found lightweight and high output very advantageous. epa etc killed them (Detroit Diesels) , and they were replaced by DD's 4 stroke engines.

two stroke diesels were st one time VERY common. truckers found lightweight and high output very advantageous. epa etc killed them (Detroit Diesels) , and they were replaced by DD's 4 stroke engines.
Yeah it was cool and totally alien to me at the time. If I remember correctly it was a V8. I got it as a no-start and got it up and running, definitely a learning curve there. There was an older guy that worked at that shop at the time and I remember him warning me about these things "running away". He told me of a story where he had this happen to him one time and he had to take a hammer and bust the fuel filter off to get it to stop. Cool stuff fosho.

most Detroit two strokes were supercharged with a blower. if the seals failed badly the engine would run away with itself, because the crankcase oil was going straight into the intake stream and working just like fuel.

Took the carb off again today and set the float at right around 6mm.
Compression test result = 156psi.
Put in new spark plug and bike started right up, but still "misses" when coming up in the rpm's.
Could not find an idle speed screw on the carb and have to keep revving it to keep it running, but it doesn't die anymore.
Bike has stock jets, 170/50.

250 2 stroke 156PSI is done.
180 is almost done, should be 200 up. Leak down, maybe a seal is out.

Idle screw is black on left side of carb at a 35* angle up, just in front of vent line coming out side.

I havent pulled the plug yet. When I got it running it was just to see if it would, and take it for a quick rip up my street and see if the missing had gone away. Then I shut it down and got ready for an X-mas work party.
It is quite possible too that the compression number may be higher. I had my buddy kicking it from the right side and he is older than me and could barely get a leg on it. I'll know more tomorrow. I'll pull the plug and re-check compression.

I am not prone to compression tests as much as I am a look through the exhaust port kind. 1/4 of "dark " under the lower ring in a two stroke means I want new parts. not knowing the age on the piston doubles my desire for new.

Me and my buddy Dan have been working on his 83 CR480 and we finally got it running this week, so this morning we took the YZ and the CR out for a ride, and put about 15 miles on. It was my first real test drive of the YZ.
The YZ runs okay/good I think (with my limited experience), but it feels slightly boggy before it hits the powerband. But when it hits, it goes like a raped ape.
When I got it home there was some spooge coming out the muff. So I am assuming I am still running rich.
Now that I am back in the garage and have some football on I am going to mess with it. I think I might drop the jet needle one position, recheck the float level, and run it again tomorrow. I will also double check the compression.
If anyone wants to add their .02 I am all ears open.

Interesting note; we switched bikes near the end of the ride, and I would have to say that his 480 is comparable to the YZ in power and speed, but his rise to power feels a bit more linear, like a 4-stroke, unlike the sudden burst that the YZ has. It also has a very cushy seat and feels like a racy Cadillac, just my initial thoughts. Also thought the YZ could use another gear, and disc brakes are awesome.