RM250 does not Idle

so I thought the clutch was good after the oil change a adjustment but the on the next ride it started to not work correctly again so I pulled the clutch cover and found 2 broke friction plates and a badly notch basket, as in so bad the basket has more teeth then my car keys. However the nut holding the clutch basket on is bigger then my biggest socket. Can anyone tell me what size that nut is so I can buy the correct size socket.

so I thought the clutch was good after the oil change a adjustment but the on the next ride it started to not work correctly again so I pulled the clutch cover and found 2 broke friction plates and a badly notch basket, as in so bad the basket has more teeth then my car keys. However the nut holding the clutch basket on is bigger then my biggest socket. Can anyone tell me what size that nut is so I can buy the correct size socket.
The one on my 05 is a 30 mm, you'll need to use an impact wrench to get it off.

Last edited:
so I pick up a 2000 rm250 and its seem to run good but it will not idle. I can start the bike with out the choke but unless I give it a small amount of throttle it dies. I have notice that if I start the bike with out the choke and then choke it once it is started that it will have an easier time idleing. being that I am new to dirt bikes and never really played around with carbs before I am not sure what this is telling me. I have not pulled off the carb and cleaned it yet and I am think that would be a good place to start. any tips where to start looking if cleaning the carb does not help.
keep an air leak test in mind..make sure the right side seal isnt adding crank case oil to your premix...was running really rich and soaked my silencer...wouldnt idle even with the screw in extremely..

so after adjusting the clutch cable and doing an oil change the bike now shifts into 1st much more smoothly. I am glad I did that oil change never seen such dirty oil. I also came home with a bag of goodies for my bike. New chain, front sprocket, rear sprocket, spark plug, and air filter. While I was at it I pick up my self a nice par of riding boots. I should have the rest of my riding gear by next week and then I can head out for my first trail ride.
that first ride is alot like a first date...basically the same thing...so much mystery..yeah that sounds KORNY