2 Stroke 1998 CR80R

I have a crank puller, clutch/flywheel holder, and a flywheel removal tool.
Do not have the case splitter, but I have a variety of other automotive puller things so I am confident I can do without for now.
We'll be removing the engine today.
I am also thinking of getting another case, jug, and head and having an extra engine on hand.
Anybody got one they want to sell?

Last edited:
I have a crank puller, clutch/flywheel holder, and a flywheel removal tool.
Do not have the case splitter, but I have a variety of other automotive puller things so I am confident I can do without for now.
We'll be removing the engine today.
I am also thinking of getting another case, jug, and head and having an extra engine on hand.
Anybody got one they want to sell?

You can get away with the old fashioned steering wheel puller in a pinch. Just make sure you thread all the way into the case.

Yep, I got a puller just like the one they show in the manual, and it is working perfect.
But now I am stuck.

I have the cases split about 3/16" at the crank end, but the opposite end, (the large bolt that goes through the swingarm) is stuck.
I think it's stuck on the bushing that goes between the 2 case halves.
Anybody got any neat tricks to loosen this thing up?
I tried tapping a socket into it, the same socket with a c-clamp, and even tried using the vice, but it wont budge.
I've since squeezed the cases back together.
100_2802.JPG

Last edited:
Case is binding. bring the other side back together and tray again. Head to home depot and go to doors and windows ask for composite shim pack. You can tap them between the halves without damage.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Phenolic strips/shims as Gary said. I like to smack the flat faces with a soft soft deadblow while the cases are under light tension. Good luck. Usually patience and a few 'Mulligans' gets me there. -BIG DAN:thumb:

plastic mallet, on the countershaft as you twist the puller with a 4 inch wrench. tap tap tap, mine come apart easily. a heat gun on the offending bushing will do it as well, the mallet (one with a head about the size of a standard claw hammer) and light persuasion does it. you can also use a puller against the countershaft.

I tried tapping it in all sorts of ways.
I'll try more tomorrow.
We just got back from riding (YZ didn't really feel any different after the new reed install), and no time to look at it tonight as we are off and running to MONSTER SUPERCROSS!!!
Zach and my 1st time, should be fun. Too bad Roczen crashed, I was looking forward to seeing him.

I tried tapping it in all sorts of ways.
I'll try more tomorrow.
We just got back from riding (YZ didn't really feel any different after the new reed install), and no time to look at it tonight as we are off and running to MONSTER SUPERCROSS!!!
Zach and my 1st time, should be fun. Too bad Roczen crashed, I was looking forward to seeing him.

Now that the yz's reeds are fixed go back to my jetting specs.

Have fun at SX

Supercross was awesome.
The 250 main was the best, and Zach was on the edge of his seat. In the end his boy Hill won.
Definitely a good night.
He's more than motivated to get his CR engine apart tomorrow :ride:

Supercross was awesome.
The 250 main was the best, and Zach was on the edge of his seat. In the end his boy Hill won.
Definitely a good night.
He's more than motivated to get his CR engine apart tomorrow :ride:

Best racing if the season, Reedy and Farm Boy had great nights.

Yeah Reed was awesome fosho.
McElrath was awesome too, with a nice recovery in the LCQ.
I was really hoping to see a good finish for Stewart...

It was a really fun day, nothing but dirtbikes all day long.
We woke up, my buddy Dan came over with the new shock for his CR480, we installed it and a few other new parts, my buddy Kerry (who just had 75% of his pancreas removed due to cancer) came along with his KTM500, and we went trail riding.
I layed over the YZ in some soft, deep, wash sand when the front tire folded under, we all got some mud on the tires, Dan ran out of gas twice, Zach broke his throttle cable (luckily at the end of the ride), and I towed both of them back. Then we got home, showered and went to supercross.
Fuckin awesome day.
My right knee is bruised and beat up, and my neck hurts, but I dont give a shit.
Zach had an awesome day, rode fast, hard, and better than ever, had the time of his life at SX, and passed out whooped as soon as he could on the ride home.
I'm not sure how it gets any better than this...

Last edited: