Squeaking noise 09 yz450f

Hi everyone. Need some help trying to determine what this noise is and where it’s coming from. It is to my understanding the top and bottom was rebuilt. I’m new to dirt bikes and am trying to understand how they work. Can anyone help me? 2009 Yamaha yz450f

SRAD97750

Staff member
wow. I don't like that at all.
Never heard that chirping noise before.
The rhythm makes me think valve train components, possibly something came loose and is flopping around in there.
Can you feel the chirping by feeling the engine?
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Hi Dan,
I honestly don’t either lol. No vibrating or knocking to the touch. Just the noise. I checked for leaks thinking it was coming from the exhaust or some line. But nothing. I’m stuck!

Have you drained the engine oil and checked for metal? You might want to look at the oil filter also to see if it has caught anything. I'm with Dan - that is a bad sound.

Yes cycled it twice. Changed the oil and checked the filter aswell. No metal. Even ran a magnet through the oil. I’m trying to avoid going to a shop but with the way it sounds might just have to.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Unfortunately, if you're not familiar with what it should look like inside the engine, I don't recommend exploratory disassembly.
But, there are a few things you could remove at home and possibly inspect visually yourself.
-BIG DAN:thumb: