RM250 Bringing life back to an 85 RM250

A little over a year ago, I picked up an abused RM250 for next to nothing. Ever since I was a kid, I had always wanted an RM. It only took me 30 years but, better late than never.

Used and abused...

I only rode it one time before I knew that it needed to be torn down and fixed up. The rear shock was blown and the forks leaked so bad that I no longer had a front brake from all of the oil coating the pads.

So, I tore it down and put the majority of it in a Rubbermaid tub.

The engine was strong and had tons of compression so, I focused on the cosmetics and suspension.

The swing arm was rough so, I figured I would spend a month sanding and polishing it. It looks nicer in person than in the pics but, you get the idea.

I sandblasted the frame and inspected it for any broken welds. Luckily, there was only some very minor re-welding that needed to be done.

Sprayed down a few coats of primer after sanding the frame a little...

I was goings to do powder coat on the frame but, I was trying to keep costs down as much as possible since my wife was laid off from her job so, I just layer down some blue that I picked up at my local paint supplier. Its as close to Suzuki blue as I could find.

Several coats of clear...

Cleaned up the triple trees and replaced the bearings...

Cleaned up the engine, rebuilt the carb, put some Boyesen power reeds in it, inspected the clutch plates and springs and started putting her back together.

Put the front end on after a fork rebuild...I forgot to take any pics of that miserable project.

I managed to pick up some really cheap tires but, they really suck so, this winter, the bike will get some proper tires mounted up.

I picked up some reproduction fenders for it on eBay. The PO put some period incorrect fenders on it that looked horrible.

Fresh swingarm bearings and some repop Full Floater decals..

I stil need to get a proper yellow number plate but, this will do for now.

I did my best to try and restor the fuel tank but, it's pretty sun beaten. Finding a NOS tank for this bike is like finding the holy grail.

This is where it sat for a couple of months because I sent the rear shock out to a shop that supposedly specialized in these vintage bikes only to find that once I got it back, it was just as bad as when I sent it out. I ended up finding a replacement on eBay that I was able to use.

I recovered the seat with this dark blue gripper material but, I just recently picked up a NOS Suzuki seat cover. I just need to get new seat foam before I recover it again.

This is the first ride after the rebuild. I absolutely love this bike.

There are a few things I plan on doing to it this winter when the snow starts flying. I want to give it the Race Tech treatment to the forks and rear shock, re cover the seat, new tires, replace the rear number plates with the transparent ones they used to use back in the day and find some proper radiator shroud decals.

I'm just having too much fun riding it right now to start tearing into it again. :banana:

:drool: that is badassery x's 100000000should I keep going :smirk:

Whats all the rest of the stable line up, I seen yz250, kx250, rm85/100? Zooky bandit? tell us more,,,we want more. we are addicts you know :ride:

Thanks. The list of bikes is as follows...

1986 YZ250-I got it running for a buddy
1997 KX500-I was storing it for my brother
2002 RM85- my sons bike
1986 Ninja 750R-storing it for a buddy
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S-my pride and joy.

Still looking for more project bikes on the cheap...street or dirt.

I may be picking up a late 70's Yamaha YZ250 to restore. Fingers crossed. Just waiting for the guy to decide if he wants to part with it.