Rebuild Costs - 4T vs 2T

James

Staff member
Bentsprockts rebuild thread gave me the motivation to create this thread.:ride: Keep it civil, act like adults, and don't just respond by saying one or the other suck. Capish? :thumb:

I had quoted some prices in that thread, but because of some special circumstances I got the stuff at a discount. (Plus my bike isn't stock) So here's a breakdown on a top-end rebuild (head & piston) for a stock 2005 KX250f with currently available prices. (This is assuming that the cylinder is fine)

$244.95 - 250cc Wiseco piston kit (includes gaskets) Link
$35.99 - Wiseco cam chain Link
$425 - Head cleaned, new Faction MX valves, Faction MX Springs, and seats cut Link
$705.94 - Total

Is that more then a 2T of course, but how many hours can a 4t go between rebuilds? What about a 2T?

Can somebody please provide a price breakdown (with links) for a 2T?

BTW we're talking about rebuild and NOT monthly maintenance costs, that could be a whole other thread. :P

James

Staff member
:doh: Man did you ever open the flood gates!
:smirk: Yup, but as I've never owned a 2T I'm curious as to what actually goes into a 2T rebuild.

:prof: I will however take appropriate measures to make sure that this thread stays on track. If anyone starts trolling or being an ass, your post will be removed. You've been warned. (and Lug don't test me this time. :P)

Sure I can help, as I have rebuilt only the topend of mine but then I only seen a top end on your quotes as well.

Wiseco top end kit $143.00 this includes gaskets as well. Thats it.
No cams or chains to speak of. Head,, not much to it since it doesn't have all that extra stuff. Like valves and such.
http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/5536/

Oh and far as how long between rebuilds,,, I bought my bike this year an 01 and I am the first one to ever crack a bolt on it. Did it need yes. I say you can look at a new top end every two years on hard trail rides but if racing and I mean like b class or better I would put one in every winter. I don't race so I am only going to slap one in it every couple years just for the heck of it. Whats 150 bucks?

Ok here we go, cost of a top end on my 07' KTM 2 stroke. To be fair I used Motosport (same as James) for the prices.

$159.99 WISECO PRO-LITE 2-STROKE PISTON
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/WISECO-PROLITE-2STROKE-PISTON-STOCK-BORE/?prodId=2089591&

$32.99 COMETIC TOP END GASKET KIT
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/COMETIC-TOP-END-GASKET-KIT/?prodId=2089602&

Grand total = $192.98

And James I had 153 hours on the stock top end in my KX 250 before I sold it, so they last just as long as a 4t.

James

Staff member
Sure I can help, as I have rebuilt only the topend of mine but then I only seen a top end on your quotes as well.

Top end kit $143.00 this includes gaskets as well. Thats it.
No cams or chains to speak of. Head not much to it since it doesn't have all that extra stuff. Like valves and such.
http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/5536/
:thumb:

So what about bottom ends?
Ok here we go, cost of a top end on my 07' KTM 2 stroke. To be fair I used Motosport (same as James) for the prices.

$159.99 WISECO PRO-LITE 2-STROKE PISTON
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/WISECO-PROLITE-2STROKE-PISTON-STOCK-BORE/?prodId=2089591&

$32.99 COMETIC TOP END GASKET KIT
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/COMETIC-TOP-END-GASKET-KIT/?prodId=2089602&

Grand total = $192.98

And James I had 153 hours on the stock top end in my KX 250 before I sold it, so they last just as long as a 4t.
:thumb:

Now I can understand why some people like their 2T's so much (cost wise). However I don't mind paying (according to these figures) $512.96 more for a 4T rebuild as I really like my 4 stroke.

how long can 4st go before they need to be re-refeshend up?

and so I see you never owned a 2st have you ever riding on one? I mean I see you say you don't mind paying the extra cause you like yours, is there something about the 2st you don't like. NOT trying to start something I am truly curious as I have never ridden on a newer race 4st.

James

Staff member
how long can 4st go before they need to be re-refeshend up?
:noidea: Depends on the person and riding type, anybody have any hours? If I remember right the manual says new rings at 50 hrs and piston at 100 hrs.

I bought my 05 used and (from what I've been told) the original owner put a +4mm big bore it in right away. So last winter (2009) I re-built everything, however I have no idea as to how many hours it had.
and so I see you never owned a 2st have you ever riding on one? I mean I see you say you don't mind paying the extra cause you like yours, is there something about the 2st you don't like. NOT trying to start something I am truly curious as I have never ridden on a newer race 4st.
No, but as I've never actually "ridden" one I couldn't really tell you either. The first bike I was ever on was a 2T but it was in a field and I didn't really "ride" it, if you get what I'm saying. I do however want to ride one on a track someday, but I'm currently happy with my 4T, why fix something if it isn't broken?

I had 186 hours on my 2008 KTM 450 EXC when I sold it. The guy who bought it from me is very happy with it. We swapped bikes last spring on a ride and he said he could not tell any difference.

I think Mike in Fresno commented somewhere that he had about 250 hours on a KTM 4T before a rebuild.

I know everyone talks hours but since I don't have an hour meter on my bike how many miles do you guys think? I'm just trying to figure how long my bike will last. In 2.5 months of owning it I have 500 miles on it. What would you guys guess that is hour wise?

No prices, but I will add when I was trail riding with a number on the front of my bike in the 250 class, I was riding about 40+ events a year in the desert. I would do a whole top end every 6 months and just rings in between. When I had the top end off, I would take apart my Power Values and totally clean them to work like butter. I replaced bikes every year so I never had to do a lower end, but my 125 buddies would replace the crank every 6 months. My 500 would get a set of rings at the 6 month and top end at the 12 month interval.

Just to give you some background, a typical event would be anywhere between 70 - 120 miles of So Cal desert where you were on and off the gas with wide open valleys where you would find yourself up over the bars and the right wrist would hit the stops for a few miles at a time...

Just thought I would throw that out there..:thumb:

Carry On!

I know everyone talks hours but since I don't have an hour meter on my bike how many miles do you guys think? I'm just trying to figure how long my bike will last. In 2.5 months of owning it I have 500 miles on it. What would you guys guess that is hour wise?

What do you think your average speed is?

I would recommend you putting an Hour Meter on. They are only about $40 bucks and easy to install.

Bentsprockts rebuild thread gave me the motivation to create this thread.:ride: Keep it civil, act like adults, and don't just respond by saying one or the other suck. Capish? :thumb:

I had quoted some prices in that thread, but because of some special circumstances I got the stuff at a discount. (Plus my bike isn't stock) So here's a breakdown on a top-end rebuild (head & piston) for a stock 2005 KX250f with currently available prices. (This is assuming that the cylinder is fine)

$244.95 - 250cc Wiseco piston kit (includes gaskets) Link
$35.99 - Wiseco cam chain Link
$425 - Head cleaned, new Faction MX valves, Faction MX Springs, and seats cut Link
$705.94 - Total

Is that more then a 2T of course, but how many hours can a 4t go between rebuilds? What about a 2T?

Can somebody please provide a price breakdown (with links) for a 2T?

BTW we're talking about rebuild and NOT monthly maintenance costs, that could be a whole other thread. :P

I like how you used MXTime.com for your link on seat cutting. They did mine and my brothers and we both have been really happy with there work.:ride: