Other YZ490 bogging

Took my 490 out yesterday and she started bogging down then died tried kicking over to no avail pushed about 3 miles home let it sit over an hour and it kicked right over cleaned carb last night was pretty bad took it out for test run today was running best it ever has but one time bogged alittle bit I've been messing with idle screw cause its been idling way high could this be why bogging? Appreciate any input thanks guys

Attachments

• IMG_20161112_155622_574.jpg
    IMG_20161112_155622_574.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 7
it is kind of a waste of time for lots of us if you ask questions like that, show a picture of the carburetor (basically of no use in diagnosis) and don't mention or show what the sparkplug looks like. bog is such a vague term, it can be caused by lean or rich conditions depending on what is taking place and how much throttle is being applied when it occurs.

Sorry about the vague description I don't know the float sizes or jetting it happens when I'm in top gear (4th) and I am at full throtlle it only does it once in a while I run 32:1 very rich my plug is a ngk- br9es but the stock one was a br8es plug is black again I apologize for not knowing too much this is only second carb I've ever took apart was actually fun and I saved some bucks I would've normally taken it to a shop I don't expect anyone to correct the problem from my description just maybe throw out couple things to narrow it down thanks again for the tips guys

Attachments

• IMG_20161114_091016_440.jpg
    IMG_20161114_091016_440.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 4
It is fun to make them work. And a shop seldom sets a carburetor up for actually running it's best.

yours is running very rich. Likely the float is in need of a a new needle, seat and setting. Setting is free and pretty easy. Manual?

you can probably find the float setting online. check to see what stock jetting is before you reset the float and run it. if the mainjet is more than two sizes smaller than stock you may want to jet back up before you run it hard with the proper float setting. let me know if you dont understand why that is.

you can probably find the float setting online. check to see what stock jetting is before you reset the float and run it. if the mainjet is more than two sizes smaller than stock you may want to jet back up before you run it hard with the proper float setting. let me know if you dont understand why that is.
I don't understand sorry plus I don't want to take up all your time new to this

Google search for the Oem spec jet sizes for your carb and year / model of bike, remove both jets from your carb and look for size markings, compare them against the Oem size needles and if they differ replace them with Oem spec jets and then you can start tweaking it to your bike!
As Mike (M33) said above, chech the gauze screen on your petrol tank tap, old bike-dirty tank!
Once the carb is clean, CLEAN IT AGAIN! and get the manual pronto
Lubricate the petrol tap bolts well before you try removing the tap!

Last edited:
Don't ever stop asking questions! DBA is a great site with many experienced helpful souls so ask away but get that manual and a lot of your answers will lie within!

When you are serious about trying the things suggested here, people don't mind helping. If you don't understand it is fine to say so, but finding definitions is pretty easy, as are at least schematic diagrams. it is kind of a situation where being prepared gets you to the point of asking more concise questions.