250 YZ250X jetting

Hey guys I just bought a 2017yz250x. I live in Tucson az and elevation is about 2500 ft. Jet setting is 178,50 and in 2nd position. I keep fouling plugs. I just started running 40:1 for fuel hoping this will clear up my problems. Does my jetting sound too rich? It is all stock settings. I'm trying to learn and understand all this jetting stuff.

Rob

I've heard the factory jets em rich, but the float should be set correctly. Using less oil isn't going to help. Have you changed/cleaned your air filter?

Hey guys I just bought a 2017yz250x. I live in Tucson az and elevation is about 2500 ft. Jet setting is 178,50 and in 2nd position. I keep fouling plugs. I just started running 40:1 for fuel hoping this will clear up my problems. Does my jetting sound too rich? It is all stock settings. I'm trying to learn and understand all this jetting stuff.

Rob
Thats pretty fat for the bike as they all have been from the factory. Many change to the suzukie needle to clean it up.
Changing your mix will not help you.
What type of riding do you do?
My power will be out all day tomorrow, so I'll check in on monday.

Thanks for all the responses!! I will post some pics up for sure! So I ride mostly single track/desert and occasionally go to the track. So I'm not on "the pipe" a lot. As I said I'm new to all this. Is it simple to change float setting? Yes I have cleaned air filter just recently. I put a new plug in yesterday and took it out. After riding I pulled the plug and there was slightly wet.

Only problem I'm having is I just fouled second plug. Break in fuel was 15:1 so I assume that's why I fouled first plug. Then started running 32:1 and fouled second plug. Bike is running great other than that.

I would haul it back to the dealer and say hey, I'm fouling plugs, fix it.
It's a brand new bike, and they should be enormously grateful that you way over-paid them for a new bike and are keeping their thieving asses in business.
The alternative is to start messing with it yourself and risk doing what I just did to my sons CR80 :banghead: :bonk: :doh:.

Last edited:
Bought a TE450 from that big dealer in Tucson. (Not sure if it's the same one you bought from). I think they are idiots. That was 6 years ago tho.

..they should be enormously grateful that you way over-paid them for a new bike and are keeping their thieving asses in business.

Whoa where did that come from?
Just because it's new from a dealer doesn't mean he overpaid. At least it's not a money pit where an initial small investment turns into a full bearing rebuild. Bikes are definitely not worth the sum of their parts. Ever try filing a online cart with every part necessary to build a bike? I did just for fun and stopped having fun at about 20 grand. Just did it to prove a point.
Take back to the dealer? Hmm you may as well start the learning/mech process now, new guy. It's a machine that needs maintaining regardless of its new or used. Talk about overpay, take that mofo to the service dept. maybe you should call them and let them know your having issues, and they may say bring it in well have a look at it. Odds are they won't find anything wrong, and will just tell you to get "on the pipe" soooo GET ON THE PIPE!

Last edited:
Ya all good pointers!! I bought out of town not in Tucson a town south east of Tucson. I did get a great deal on the bike and it was in my hands with in two months of my initial phone call to them. It was excellent service! I bought a 2008 YZ450f last summer that is now for sale. I ended up putting close to a grand in it to get it up to par. Last thing I wanted to do was keep it and have to do a total rebuild. Ya it would be cheaper than buying a new bike but I figured what the hell I'm going to have this bad boy for a long time so I bought the 250x Have no regrets either! True about taking it to the dealership labor is 75 bucks an hour and there isn't warranty on new bikes. So that's why I'm on here and on ThumperTalk so I can learn and figure this shit out on my own!! With the help of guys who have the experience that I lack right now.

Yah, when I move to prescott in the middle of the year I will be looking to upgrade my 04 YZWR dual sport. Either a Beta 300 or a YZX is in my future. Just have to loosen up some money by selling this CA shitbox and getting the hell out of CA to my house in AZ.

You sure there is no 6 month warranty on the race bikes.

Only problem I'm having is I just fouled second plug. Break in fuel was 15:1 so I assume that's why I fouled first plug. Then started running 32:1 and fouled second plug. Bike is running great other than that.
Go 45:1 on on amsoil dominator and high test fuel and call it ball. Br8es plug to.

Ohhhh and go twist it's tail hard!!! She be good after that

Last edited: