250 Yz250 gear selection issue 2002

Hi guys, my yz250 start giving problems with first gear, when im riding and goin down gears it will drop down the gears and stop in nuetral, it takes a few times selecting it to eventually go into first, im gona change gear oil next week but just thought id see if any other riders had this problem, thanks in advance

SRAD97750

Staff member
Everything BigDan said, I would also add misadjusted shift lever, not sure on your YZ, but on some of my bikes, the frame interferes with the shifter if it's not adjusted correctly.
Our KDX200 had a stripped shift shaft and my brother would end up in the middle of nowhere, unable to downshift. They have a narrow angle for adjustment before frame contact. Ended up welding on the lever in the correct position for a while. :smirk: -BIG DAN

Our KDX200 had a stripped shift shaft and my brother would end up in the middle of nowhere, unable to downshift. They have a narrow angle for adjustment before frame contact. Ended up welding on the lever in the correct position for a while. :smirk: -BIG DAN

Cheers lads, if gear shift was loose or out of line wouldn changing down all gear be hard to select? Just a thought. As its only first gear, thanks for help all

SRAD97750

Staff member
Each gear selection has different path on the shift drum. Second to first happens to be the longest.
Second to first is also the most mathematically taxing gear selection for a transmission. (Eng speed vs rear wheel speed.)
Both of these factors make shifting down into first the most likely to have issues if the shifter is out of alignment or the shift forks are bent. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Each gear selection has different path on the shift drum. Second to first happens to be the longest.
Second to first is also the most mathematically taxing gear selection for a transmission. (Eng speed vs rear wheel speed.)
Both of these factors make shifting down into first the most likely to have issues if the shifter is out of alignment or the shift forks are bent. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Tanks so much this will help me to fix this problem, im thinkin more gear shifter now as ur description is spot on, thanks again

I do what I can

images

What country and City was Einstein born in without looking it up.

Clue:
My wife is from the same Country and City. Mc Donalds now sits on the land his house was on.