Would you go to the doc?

So, about 11 months ago, I crashed skating, at hurt my thumb; I think I over extended it (Gamekeeper's thumb). It is still not 100% healed, makes like a slight crackling noise and feeling when rotated, and still has some minor discomfort when fully extended. It used to be way worse, like, severe pain when bumped for the 1st month. Do you think there is any point on getting it examined?

The damage is done now. 11 months. It is going to be a serious deal if something is wrong. If it was broke they might have to rebreak it to get it set right. probably going to have arthritis in it now and there isn't much you can do. I might be a puss but I have no problem going to the doctor when I fall and hurt something. I am way to young to be in pain now. Because over time it just gets worse.

I have nerve damage in the ring finger and pinky finger of my left hand. Hurts everyday. Sometimes I have no grip can't even hold a drink. I tried to get it looked at multiple times and both doctors I went to said the same thing. "I will probably do more damage than good" So stay up on yourself, as dirtbike riders we are pretty brutal to our bodies. Even if this sport is good to us it still isn't good to us. We will pay for the bumps and bruises later.

No, You will be out the money and no better off. Ibpro and a fudge sickle stick with tape and stop playing with it. Call me in a week or two.

James

Staff member
Do you think there is any point on getting it examined?
Depends on if you're fed up with it enough to go see if you can find out what's wrong. Who knows it might not even be repairable or there might be a quick fix.
Only if you want, but remember, doctors are like mechanics. Your paying them to find something wrong with it.
Uh isn't that sort of the point? If you have pain/swelling there's obviously something wrong with it, why not go find out what so you know how to proceed.

And what's your beef with doctors?

My doc tells me what's wrong and lays out all the different options to fix it, this way I can make an informed decision. The options could be surgery or as simple as taking it easy for a few weeks. He actually prefers NOT to do surgery unless absolutely necessary and instead let the body heal itself. It's not like he drags me into the operating room against my will. :lol: Maybe you need a new doc? :noidea:

\
My doc tells me what's wrong and lays out all the different options to fix it, this way I can make an informed decision. The options could be surgery or as simple as taking it easy for a few weeks. He actually prefers NOT to do surgery unless absolutely necessary and instead let the body heal itself. It's not like he drags me into the operating room against my will. :lol: Maybe you need a new doc? :noidea:

X2000 ... My doctor is no Mechanic, but he can sure fix the chit out of a people.

Depends on if you're fed up with it enough to go see if you can find out what's wrong. Who knows it might not even be repairable or there might be a quick fix.

Uh isn't that sort of the point? If you have pain/swelling there's obviously something wrong with it, why not go find out what so you know how to proceed.

I think his beef is, "doctors are for bitches". :lol: I cant talk too much, I try not to ever take medicine, painkillers, or go to a doctor. Unless something is obvious, of course. We weren't going to even go to the doctor when I broke my wrist, but my step mother made us go because I rang my bell good. (Let's face it...we all just wanted to see that GoPro footage :lol: ) Looking back, that was so stupid. Being "tough" is great, I'm all for that, but get it fixed now or you'll have to be a real tough guy when you hit 50 and it hurts to move.

I never take medicine, and I never went to the doctor unless it was a life or death decision (3 times) or mandatory physiacals for work.
I broke all of my bones in both feet at different times throughout my life, busted my wrist, tore muscle tissue and most recently 6 different vertebrea that have been broken or cracked...
Why??? cause I'm an idiot.
Everyday I get a shooting pain that feels much like a steel rod being shoved up the spine, if I bang my wrist the wrong way it hurts for weeks on end... if I sit for too long I get more shooting pains in both my knees, almost to the point of tears. My feet hurt so often I have learned to ignore the pain. here's the kicker... I'm only 40.... here's the other kicker.. I used to always have premium healthcare.... need more proof that I'm no rocket scientist???? I went to med school so I know better about preventive medicine, and that time is a temporary fix and with even more time the problem resurfaces and often enough crippleing....
Its 11 months too late Jos for that thumb but get it looked at anyway as it may be a bone fragment stuck in the cartalidge. That could ruin your 30's for ya if you dont fix it now....

Welcome to the skating world, I've killed both of my thumbs. My right thumb cracks 7 outa 10 times when I bend it, and my left one just decides it's going to hurt any time I'm doing any work with my hands. Oh and I went to the doctor the first time I hurt my thumb that cracks every time I move it, they x-rayed it and told me all was good. It took a while for mine to stop hurting all the time, it will get better. I doubt the doc will find anything or be able to do anything about it.

Mine start "fixing" shit and charge it to me later. The body works in crazy ways and heals itself. It's past the time to get fixed, 11 months is far too long. No point now.

Mine start "fixing" shit and charge it to me later. The body works in crazy ways and heals itself. It's past the time to get fixed, 11 months is far too long. No point now.

It can, but I don't think it's any mystery as to why we live longer now than we did years ago. Better technology, better medicine, more knowledge.