Why hello there, my name is Mike!

It was brought to my attention that I never posted a thread in the New Member section. So here it is.

I was actually going to just post those two sentences and leave it at that, but hey why not tell a bit about myself and my riding. I grew up in San Diego and was referred to this site by Travace. Travace and I know each other because we used to play a video game together called Tribes, and the main forum for that game was called Tribalwar.com. Keep in mind this game came out in 1998 or 99. Come to think of it I don't think I ever played with Trav, but we know each other from that forum because we're both bike fans and live in SD.

I started riding in 2003. I started out on road bikes with a YZF600r. I quickly learned that the road laws were too restrictive and moved on to trackdays. After a few I realized I couldn't afford to do as many as I wanted, but I had a few friends who worked at SoCalTrackDays and I convinced them to let me work there with them. The deal was I worked for half the day with a bunch of flags and a radio keeping people safe, and then I got to ride for the other half the day. After a few years of this I traded up my bike at the time a 2005 GSXR600 for an insurance check. (chucked it down the track at 95MPH and told them I hit a squirrel in the canyons hehe) So I took the money and bought a new track bike and a dirt bike which was a 2003 YZF450. I got the dirt bike because i was getting fast enough on the race track that the bike was beginning to bounce and move around under me and I wanted to get used to that by riding a dirt bike.

After another few years, SoCalTrackDays moved to Desert Center which was too far of a drive from Reno NV where I was living at the time. So I started riding the dirt bike more. In 2011 I quit smoking and used dirt bike riding as a physical replacement for smoking. I quickly got in shape and wanted to start racing. My first race was with the MRANN series which I came to quickly love. The YZF was not the best bike for racing desert, but I soldiered on with it in the novice class until August of 2012 when I bought my current bike which is a KTM 300XC. The KTM was all around a better bike and allowed me to progress into from Novice to the Amateur class with a few class wins in the mix.

I was laid off in Feb and moved home to San Diego looking for adventure in dirt biking. I'm still very skilled in the rough, dry, and uneven terrain that makes up the Northern Nevada Great Basin region. I am however getting a feel for the local terrain and can't wait to meet more people and ride more places.

WALL OF TEXT!
I am mike
I ride bikes
Lets ride bikes together

Welcome :wave: Nice bike mike, cut the BS lets see some peeksures of ilt. We like them dirty tho :smirk:
Good luck on that, I tried to take a picture of his scooter in JV, on the unforgettable hinge pin trip. He gave me stink eye, and started blasting me about, "Why am I taking pics of his bike?" :smirk:

Oh yeah, from what I missed of the fore said trip, I think SDMike's name should be changed to Orange Lawn Dart.:poke:

Good luck on that, I tried to take a picture of his scooter in JV, on the unforgettable hinge pin trip. He gave me stink eye, and started blasting me about, "Why am I taking pics of his bike?" :smirk:

Oh yeah, from what I missed of the fore said trip, I think SDMike's name should be changed to Orange Lawn Dart.:poke:

Ooooo and the plot thickens..... :cool:............. :thinking:

hehe i thought it was odd but i think mike was more concerned about me putting him on tribalwar. :lol:

i felt bad for mike for a second cause we left camp and i pinned it. after our last ride i dont feel so bad. i was hurtin, the bike was having starting issues and i had prolly 5 get offs and mike is trying to get me to go back up the gnar gnar knowing he will get plenty of rest while i kick my bike :lol:

LOL Ok ok yes the first time I went riding with travace I swapped out in the whoops at a very high rate of speed and caught the bar end right in the chest. The chest protector took the brunt of the impact but i still fractured my sternum and boy did that feel great. The picture bitching was DEFINITELY about TW lol. Trav is the only one who will understand why, but if you want to take pictures of my bike, feel free to from hence forth.

As for our LAST ride and Travace opening a winery on the trail... I was injured, you were tired. Nut up, buttercup.

Pics!

This is the first ride I did at PV. Middle of Kenan.

The end of my last race. It was 15 degrees out, no joke.

Pretty race bike after adding all the graphics.