Why Grip Wire??

Hello, I am wondering why some people put wire around there grips, usually 3 strands. End-Middle-End. Even after gluing the grips on. I have just recently seen this and don't understand why it's done.

Hello, I am wondering why some people put wire around there grips, usually 3 strands. End-Middle-End. Even after gluing the grips on. I have just recently seen this and don't understand why it's done.

Because some people are just plain "AR".

You know I had both grips (Doughertys, which were popular about 45 years ago) come off over a jump. I rember trying to get them back on. I remember it really hurt. I have used wire in the past with various kinds of things to stick them on. I found sanding the surface, NEVER using a chrome handle bar, and using anything from paint to pvc or abs glue (what I do now) works fine without using wire. But after that I can understand anyone going to the point of the wire and glue, rivets, nails etc

Ok cool, thanks guys. I figured it was just for staying on better. But at the same point if the grips where glued on then putting the wire on made no sense.

The big problem I have seen is application. If the bars are not clean and free of any oils (hand, petroleum based, synthetic, etc.) your grip is going to slip. I believe the best thing to do is use what's best. I just clean off the bars with contact cleaner or rubbing alcohol and install the new grips with air pressure. I really have never had to wire, and/or glue them on. I do use bark busters so grips cant slip off the ends, and the clutch, brake, kill switch, or other switches prevent them from sliding in.

I think James or BK should merge this with the other glue thread but thats up to them.

Because it's easier than pulling off grips, drying both surfaces out and re glueing them