Which bike for a short guy?

I currently ride an 03 Rm85 non big wheel. I am like 5'6" on a good day with short legs. I'm looking to get a bigger 2 stroke. I have tried several 125's and I can barely even tippy toe on the ground and I don't feel comfortable on them. The 85 seems to fit me ok but I'd like a little more room for my legs. My question is are the big wheel 85 frames a little bigger? I mean are the pegs a little farther away in association with the seat on the big wheels compared to my 85?... if that makes any sense. Thanks Steven.

frames on the bigwheels are the same as the small wheels. you can get after market seats that give you some more leg room. I have never lowered pegs on an rm85. but have on others. both ways have pluses and minuses.

lookup lowering kits (shock linkage) for the 125's you are interested in. kx's always seemed lower to me. if you are b
buying new you are kind of limited to Yamaha and ,"Europe ".

Last edited:
I currently ride an 03 Rm85 non big wheel. I am like 5'6" on a good day with short legs. I'm looking to get a bigger 2 stroke. I have tried several 125's and I can barely even tippy toe on the ground and I don't feel comfortable on them. The 85 seems to fit me ok but I'd like a little more room for my legs. My question is are the big wheel 85 frames a little bigger? I mean are the pegs a little farther away in association with the seat on the big wheels compared to my 85?... if that makes any sense. Thanks Steven.

Welcome!!!
At 5'6 you are ready for a 125. There are a bunch of companies that make lowering links for them as well. Pro circuit, race tech, and few others.

frames on the bigwheels are the same as the small wheels. you can get after market seats that give you some more leg room. I have never lowered pegs on an rm85. but have on others. both ways have pluses and minuses.

lookup lowering kits (shock linkage) for the 125's you are interested in. kx's always seemed lower to me. if you are b
buying new you are kind of limited to Yamaha and ,"Europe ".

Will the kx100 give me anymore leg room than my rm85?

Ricky says any bike you want

image.jpg

I agree w 2strokesteve,
Just get used to what you have, make adjustments where needed, and roll with it.
I equate this to my buddy and me learning to play guitar 30+ years ago. He is a big dude with fat fingers and at the time we started was always concerned with not being able to play a normal size neck. It took some extra effort on his part, but today he is just as good as anybody else, on any guitar. He made it work.

Probably goes the same for guys with small dicks and hot girlfriends; it's not what you got, it's how you use it :D.

I also agree with M33, you are probably ready for a 125. My son is 5-2, and we just found him a CR125 from a friend of mine. I wont let him on it yet, but he's getting close.

Last edited:
You do mean smaller than the cr and yz 125's right?

I would go get a nice yz125 and call it a day. Biggest mistake I ever made was buying an rm85l for my kid because he outgrew it in 2 months and I had to go get him a full size bike. He made the switch at 5'6"

YZ250, you need to be on the pipe all the time to enjoy a 125. same seat hight.

But who am I to tell you YZ?

Both my boys years ago went from a CRF230 straight to YZ250.

I know nothing about anything, So if you like to keep the chain saw screaming, get the 125.

I ride an 04, boys ride 02's, all three of us 30 inch IS on good day. 5'7" and 5"10"