When to shift

Hey there. I'm still learning and was wondering if anyone could give me pointers on when to shift? Everything I seem to find online is about using the shifter, which I'm learning and gEttinger the hang of. But what about what gears to be in? Up hill, landing, turns and such?

Thanks a bunch for all your help and suggestions!

Hey there. I'm still learning and was wondering if anyone could give me pointers on when to shift? Everything I seem to find online is about using the shifter, which I'm learning and gEttinger the hang of. But what about what gears to be in? Up hill, landing, turns and such?

Thanks a bunch for all your help and suggestions!
Uphill and turns most likely 2nd gear or 1st. Landing a jump is dependent on how fast you go off it, how far your traveling. Rule of thumb is not to down shift unless there is a tight corner close to the lander

practicing what? lol
i also crashed and broke my break lever. do they make any that have a better chance at not breaking?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
ASV lever are a great investment. Saved me tons of money when hillclimbing. Feathering the clutch is holding it just barely to the point at which it is disengaged and engaged and bouncing between the 2 points to keep your rpms high. It's great for hillclimbing because you don't have to down shift to stay in the power band if you encounter an obstacle that slows you down. It's kinda hard to explain in words. I'll see if I can find one of my vids of me hillclimbing and you can listen to me slipping the clutch.

View attachment 27728
View attachment 27729
ASV lever are a great investment. Saved me tons of money when hillclimbing. Feathering the clutch is holding it just barely to the point at which it is disengaged and engaged and bouncing between the 2 points to keep your rpms high. It's great for hillclimbing because you don't have to down shift to stay in the power band if you encounter an obstacle that slows you down. It's kinda hard to explain in words. I'll see if I can find one of my vids of me hillclimbing and you can listen to me slipping the clutch.
I'm going to invest in those. I know broken levers are pretty common. Not to mention I can get Red ones hehe
videos are awesome. I'm considering taking online classes for technique.

In the search box at the top of the forum search for 'hillclimbing vids (kx250) updated!' You will see a lot of my hillclimb edit vids there. Broke levers are pretty common. I only use one finger for front brake and clutch so my levers are pretty damn short as is. When I break one I just sand the edge smooth and run it. I love my AVSs tho

In the search box at the top of the forum search for 'hillclimbing vids (kx250) updated!' You will see a lot of my hillclimb edit vids there. Broke levers are pretty common. I only use one finger for front brake and clutch so my levers are pretty damn short as is. When I break one I just sand the edge smooth and run it. I love my AVSs tho
There are some awesome pics along with the video! I shall study your technique yoda