What's this dr650 worth?

Obo means not $1,300 so, I'd look at it and offer $900 and probably give 1k if I was interested which I am not. Had an air cooled 600, and shes a cruel mistress when kicking hot. Had a '94 dr350 and was a solid bike so I'm sure it's big brother has the same genes, but this one looks like it has been up the punisher. Ask to see receipt for the valve adj and look for any *notes. If it runs and rides it's worth a grand but be prepared to spend some more (tires, brakes etc). I'm sure there are issues the PO was tolerating that will drive you nuts and want to fix as well. Good luck and happy hunting.

I like them too, but if you are doing more road than dirt road you may like the KLR650 better. I find mine smoother and easier to ride long distances. the suzuki is WAY more offroad capable, making it about half as capable as a honda xr600. but that one looks like it had a very hard life. you can turn it into 800 ccs plus when you rebuild though, on the bright side!!

I am curious because I'm not too far from you and keep a pretty keen eye on the bikes in this area.
I agree with the others, this bike looks like it's been rode hard and hung up wet. And with 20,000 on the odometer, and it's year, I would start looking at how available parts are for it, because it's gonna need some.
I have a 93 KLX650 that parts are nearly non-existent, and have learned my lesson there.
I would offer $650.00 if it runs, and go from there.
I cant see it being worth more than $850.00 though in it's current condition, unless it runs super-strong, and comes with extra stuff.
But even then, it's still 23+ years old, and when it breaks, can you get parts for it?

Edit: it books (trade-in) for $995.00 in good condition. See below;
http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/suzuki/dr650s/1993/?pricetype=trade-in

Another good question is; are you capable of doing any repairs it might need by yourself?
If not, I would pass it by and look for something newer.

Last edited:
Obo means not $1,300 so, I'd look at it and offer $900 and probably give 1k if I was interested which I am not. Had an air cooled 600, and shes a cruel mistress when kicking hot. Had a '94 dr350 and was a solid bike so I'm sure it's big brother has the same genes, but this one looks like it has been up the punisher. Ask to see receipt for the valve adj and look for any *notes. If it runs and rides it's worth a grand but be prepared to spend some more (tires, brakes etc). I'm sure there are issues the PO was tolerating that will drive you nuts and want to fix as well. Good luck and happy hunting.

I had a 94 DR350 too and I found that very hard to kick into life, can only imagine what a 600 is like:banghead:

my sp500 and dr650(bought to try/sell) both came to life pretty easily. that compression release on the 500 that you depressed and then slowly went through the motion until the compression release popped back to the extended position made kicking easy and it started at sea level and at the 14,000 foot level quite nicely. the xr/xl hondas and tt500's I had would do the same thing if you put them in gear and pulled backwards on the bars until you had them on the backside of the compression stroke.

my sp500 and dr650(bought to try/sell) both came to life pretty easily. that compression release on the 500 that you depressed and then slowly went through the motion until the compression release popped back to the extended position made kicking easy and it started at sea level and at the 14,000 foot level quite nicely. the xr/xl hondas and tt500's I had would do the same thing if you put them in gear and pulled backwards on the bars until you had them on the backside of the compression stroke.

In gear and pulling back is how I learned Hondas too! My 350 was a seller too but ended up being traded for a CRM250 for my bro, My 86 DR200 had an issue with the decompression cable where it would cut out when turning right, took me weeks to diagnose as I was the only one riding til I watched my bro pull out of his garden on it :banghead:but just turned out to be bad cable routing! Loved that wee bike for some reason!:noidea:

suz,hon,yam all have made bikes that with a little bit of setup can make you feel like a hero.(when speaking of the 200',s)

Last edited:

SRAD97750

Staff member
My first motorcycle ever was a 1996 Suzuki DR650SE
Put 28,000 miles on it with great vigor. 85% street riding and never realized it's real offroad potential.
Excellent motorcycle capable of freeway cruising or singletrack miles. Pretty soft for what I do now, but as a commuter, it was absolutely plush.
I recommend finding a few years newer model and making it yours for $1-2K.
As Andy mentioned, there is a 790cc kit for it... -BIG DAN:thumb: