What Upgrades Should I Do

Hello, I just recently bought a 2014 Honda CRF250R. I want to start upgrading it. Not neccerally for speed but for just great performance, more power and sure! More speed. Problem is I don't know a whole lot about taking apart, working on and deciding what parts to buy. Haven't really done any of that before. So I'd like your guys help. Please let me know what upgrades I should do to my bike and even little mods like anodized metal just to make it have a cool look. I've already planned on getting a high performance air filter intake system and a new exhaust system. Other than that, I do not know what to get. I will be doing mostly trial riding and riding on dirt rodes. But I would also like to go to a track some time and try that out. I think it'd be really fun. Maybe race someday. Who knows! Thank you guys, really appriciate and hope to learn how a lot more as I get more advanced in this hobby. I am really good at riding though. That's good haha. (Been riding for a few years) Oh and one more thing. If you don't already know, the bike is fuel injected and and 4 stroke. I know that can make a difference and what parts to buy.

Sorry Snowflake but I'm not sure what you mean. Suspension revalve? What is that? And when you say lots of gas you just mean giving the throttle lots of gas right?

Sorry Snowflake but I'm not sure what you mean. Suspension revalve? What is that? And when you say lots of gas you just mean giving the throttle lots of gas right?
A suspension re-valve is having someone go in and tune the suspension's compression/rebound among other things to closer match your capability/weight. A good tuner won't just adjust the clickers, they'll install applicable valving and springs and then fine tune it.

As far as lots of gas I mean save your money for fuel, best mod ever is lots of practice :thumb:

I agree with the above, but everything starts with the rider. Sound like from your questions that you are very new to the sport. Along with spending money on gas, upkeep, and riding the VERY best thing you can do to make this bike faster, and safer is also the best thing to make every bike you are going to own faster and safer. Get to a riding school. Rick Johnson used to have some of the best in my opinion if you want to start there. The thing about riding schools though, if you dont listen, take the notes, keep referring to the videos of the instructors and the ones that include you, the benefit is only partial. Outweighs ANYTHING I have ever done to a bike, and there isn't much other than modify the injection on a dirt bike that I haven't done. (as soon as i get a dirt bike with injection I will be able to say I have done that too though.)

Ok thank you Snowflake and Osssagp. Do you know how much it will cost for a suspension re valve? Also Ossagp. I'm new to having a nice bike to ride haha. When I was much younger I had a 50cc Yamaha. When I was either 11 or 12 I got a Honda XR80. Had it for a few years and then sold it. It was pretty must the biggest piece of junk but it was rideable and started everytime on the first kick. I really pushed that bike past it's limits. I also did a lot of riding on my uncles Yamaha 450. Then just a few weeks ago I went out and bought a brand new dirt bike. I'm not new to riding and can ride very well. Just new to wanting to maintain, upgrade, take care and just learn more about my bike. I never changed the oil or anything on my 80. Didn't really realize I had to though at that point. Anyways, now that I have this new bike I want to take excellent care of it and upgrade it. Don't get me wrong, I can change the oil and do basic maintenance on my bike. And when I got the bike the guy that sold it to me went over the bike and everything with me.

James

Staff member
Like @snowflake mentioned, first thing you should be doing is getting the suspension setup for your weight and riding style. Depending on who you have it for you it can be anywhere from $300 to $1,000 just for that. However this is money well spent as the perfectly tuned suspension will give you the best bang for buck in speed gains on the track.

I wouldn't blow your money on the bling parts unless you have deep pockets as you're going to have ongoing maintenance costs. Air filter cleaner/oil and engine/transmission oil being your most regular items. Plus you'll have some wear parts that will need regular replacing; chain/sprockets, tires, etc. Not mention all the parts that you'll break when (not if :P) you crash.

Oh and can't forget the sick graphics! That'll add 5 HP right there!

James

Staff member
BTW what kind of riding gear do you have right now? Here's the minimum required list:
  • Helmet
  • Moto boots
  • Gear set (jersey, pants, gloves)
  • Goggles

And if you have the money:
  • Chest protector (this should actually be in the required section)
  • Knee pads or braces
  • Neck brace (lots of debates on this item)

Thank you James, I'll defiantly look into getting my suspension set up. As for gear, I have helemt, goggles, gloves, jersey and chest protector. The boots and pants I used to have, have became too small now. So new boots and pants are on my list. With boots being first. I hate riding without them. As for graphics. I'd love to get some. But all the kits I have found so far are of one brand. I want like a variety kit. Monster, rockstor, fox. Etc.. Just so my bike don't have one look to it. If you know what I mean. Although, if I could find a kit that's monster and has all the graphics for the bike I might get it. I do like the look of bikes with monster graphics.

Welcome to the forum.
Nice bike, this thread is to easy for me. I will leave this alone. :picard:
AJ7GSD, I would just ride the thing to break it all in before you start upgrading it.

James

Staff member
As for graphics. I'd love to get some. But all the kits I have found so far are of one brand. I want like a variety kit. Monster, rockstor, fox. Etc.. Just so my bike don't have one look to it. If you know what I mean. Although, if I could find a kit that's monster and has all the graphics for the bike I might get it. I do like the look of bikes with monster graphics.
Yeah you aren't going to find a kit that has both Monster and Rockstar (unless you go full custom) as those are competing sponsors/brands.

Heck I personally don't run a certain brand unless they've helped me out in some way. Also having 50 million "sponsors" on your bike might look cool to an outsider however another rider will probably just roll their eyes and think poser. :noidea: I like the clean look.