What to look for when buying a dirt bike

I'm really new to all this dirt biking and only rode a few times. I'm getting my own tomorrow, a Kawasaki KX 125. I'm wondering what kind of "major" problems I should look for and what I should check on the bike before buying it? The person selling claims that the spark plugs need to be changed to start it. How can I check and make sure that it is just the spark plugs? Thank you all in advance!

Sounds like a scam to me. Think about it, if someone really wanted to sell a bike they would buy a $5 plug so it would fire up. Maybe they are telling the truth, But to cover your butt I would Google the recommended spark plug and go buy one from your local shop. Then show up to look at this bike with a new plug and some tools to change it. My bet is the person won't let you change it, because they are full of it and the bike has problems.

I'm really new to all this dirt biking and only rode a few times. I'm getting my own tomorrow, a Kawasaki KX 125. I'm wondering what kind of "major" problems I should look for and what I should check on the bike before buying it? The person selling claims that the spark plugs need to be changed to start it. How can I check and make sure that it is just the spark plugs? Thank you all in advance!

Probably dealing with a douchebag

Start the bike, how easy is to start, how does it sound, any weird knocking noises?does the bike bog when you snap the throttle....take it out far enough to at least run through all the gears 1-6 then 6-1, how does the clutch feel, does it grab? Shake the wheels, and swing arm side to side, any wiped out bearings? Also did the brakes seem to work when you rode it?does it squeak when you jounce the suspension? Any repairs to the frame, is the vin number present or is it ground off?these are the basic things I would look for.

Last edited:
So I found another guy that has a 1996 Kawasaki KLX 250 for $600 and claims that the rings and maybe the bottom bearings need to be changed. He dropped the price to $450 but the thing is idk if its legit or not... These things go up for $1100-$2000 so why is he selling so cheap?

So I found another guy that has a 1996 Kawasaki KLX 250 for $600 and claims that the rings and maybe the bottom bearings need to be changed. He dropped the price to $450 but the thing is idk if its legit or not... These things go up for $1100-$2000 so why is he selling so cheap?
If it doesn't run, and you can do your own work to fix it, offer him 200$,you should be able to buy the parts you need to rebuild motor complete to keep everything you have into it for under 1100$,if it does run, go thru the list I gave you before, but if you are not comfortable repairing it yourself, you might want to find something in decent to good condition.

patience is your friend. nonstarting bikes that have an engine that is free enough to kick through gets an offer of about half what runners get. it's called buying a pig in a poke.