What States do not require registration?

As stated above, looking for which State(s) don't require registration. Looking to buy a few bikes - without the hassle of registering a new bike, and getting hit with those taxes.
Thanks!
Atomic

Good luck with this adventure. I don't think there is any state that does not require you to register a motor vehicle. As CDA says, how would anyone proof the bike belongs to you and not some bozo who just stole it from you? Even Mexico has registration requirements.

James

Staff member
As stated above, looking for which State(s) don't require registration. Looking to buy a few bikes - without the hassle of registering a new bike, and getting hit with those taxes.
If you're buying new the dealer will charge you sales tax. However in a lot of states (Indiana being one) you aren't required to register them (or pay the yearly registration fees).
So if you do not have to reg a bike, how do you prove the bike is yours?
There's a difference between having a title and registering a bike/car. A lot of the older bikes don't even have the title anymore and at that point you go off of the Bill of Sale.
Good luck with this adventure. I don't think there is any state that does not require you to register a motor vehicle. As CDA says, how would anyone proof the bike belongs to you and not some bozo who just stole it from you? Even Mexico has registration requirements.

I bought a used bike from a dealer and never got a title, just a bill of sale. Same for when I sold it. I do have the title for my current bike though, however it isn't registered.

So if you do not have to reg a bike, how do you prove the bike is yours?

Possession is 99.9% of ownership. :P
If you're buying new the dealer will charge you sales tax. However in a lot of states (Indiana being one) you aren't required to register them (or pay the yearly registration fees).

There's a difference between having a title and registering a bike/car. A lot of the older bikes don't even have the title anymore and at that point you go off of the Bill of Sale.

I bought a used bike from a dealer and never got a title, just a bill of sale. Same for when I sold it. I do have the title for my current bike though, however it isn't registered.

Exactly what I know. Thanks James!!!
:thumb:

So when Johnny Po Po pulls you over they don't ask for License AND registration? Registration fees also go towards your yearly tags to show you're up to date. I would hope you aren't carrying around the title in the car... that's a problem waiting to happen. It gets stolen the title's in the glove box and you have no registration on it... now report it stolen!

Please clear the air in here... it's getting all fogged up! :crazy:

James

Staff member
So when Johnny Po Po pulls you over they don't ask for License AND registration? Registration fees also go towards your yearly tags to show you're up to date. I would hope you aren't carrying around the title in the car... that's a problem waiting to happen. It gets stolen the title's in the glove box and you have no registration on it... now report it stolen!

Please clear the air in here... it's getting all fogged up! :crazy:

:facepalm: We're talking about dirt bikes here Rez, not cars. Yes cars/trucks have to be registered in Indiana, dirt bikes do not.

James

Staff member
My bad... you mentioned "bike/car" so I thought it meant both... Carry on! :popcorn:........still screwy!
Not really. Dirt bikes can't be ridden on the road so no need for registration (aka plate). Dual sport (road legal) have to be registered to though (if you wish to ride on the road).

I think Atomic from Canada needs to clarify what exactly he means. He wants to avoid paying taxes when he buys the bikes but he will still have to pay taxes even if he just gets a title. He can lie about the cost if he buys private party but he still needs to pay something to gain the title to the vehicle. So is he talking about registering them or getting the title. :noidea: You know those Canadians are always up to something. :smirk:

I just street registered one of my YZ250 in AZ. Guess how much that state charges? :foul:
FYI CA guys, this bike is registered, insured and will be ridden strictly in AZ so don't get upset! :prof:
Just to let you know as well, I registered my little 98 Tacoma in AZ also and it was $61.18 good to Dec. 2017.
Yah, unbelievable for us Cali guys... :stirthepot: