What starting dirt bike should I get for a new rider (me, 18 6 feet tall 200lbs). Never ridden

I want to get into a street bike I was thinking a cb500f or something 700cc but I talked to this Ducati guy and he told me to just try a light cheap ass dirt bike and learn the gears and feel how to ride safely before trying a bigger bike cuz that's what he did and I thought that's a good idea.

I need a cheap dirt bike about 1,000$-3,000$ cheaper is better haha, since I won't have it at most for a year before I buy a bigger bike.

I need something for my height which I have no clue about what will fit me.

I'm just planning to go around out in the country and practice how to ride and the gears and maybe once I get the hang of it try some trails.

All answers will be awesome thanks!

I think you were given some good and sound advice. The dirt is a good place to learn how a motorcycle works. You don't mention size or age or what you have available as a riding area. if you are over 5'8" i think you can adapt to any of the motocross bikes, and since you are buying used I would get a two stroke, 125 or 250. yamaha, honda, ktm, kawasaki, suzuki take your pick and buy the best 1500 dollar one you can find and hold the other 1500 for gear and repairs. the older 4 stroke race bikes are really money pits and unless you are willing to spend a lot to keep them running good, i would pass on them.

even smarter may be one of the trail oriented 4 strokes from honda like the xr 200, 250, 400, etc. suzuki had a decent 350 and their water cooled 400's are excellent and are the only on offroad ones(certaian models of their 350 and 400 are street legal from the factory) I would recommend. they are going to use up all your 3000 though (the water cooled 400). yamaha makes some great air cooled ones too, the tt225/230 and 250. the xt series yamahas are road legal, but not up to the two suzukies i mentioned in my opinion.

I think you were given some good and sound advice. The dirt is a good place to learn how a motorcycle works. You don't mention size or age or what you have available as a riding area. if you are over 5'8" i think you can adapt to any of the motocross bikes, and since you are buying used I would get a two stroke, 125 or 250. yamaha, honda, ktm, kawasaki, suzuki take your pick and buy the best 1500 dollar one you can find and hold the other 1500 for gear and repairs. the older 4 stroke race bikes are really money pits and unless you are willing to spend a lot to keep them running good, i would pass on them.

even smarter may be one of the trail oriented 4 strokes from honda like the xr 200, 250, 400, etc. suzuki had a decent 350 and their water cooled 400's are excellent and are the only on offroad ones(certaian models of their 350 and 400 are street legal from the factory) I would recommend. they are going to use up all your 3000 though (the water cooled 400). yamaha makes some great air cooled ones too, the tt225/230 and 250. the xt series yamahas are road legal, but not up to the two suzukies i mentioned in my opinion.

In the title is my age (18) and how tall I am (6'0") and weight (200lbs)

Thanks for the reply I think I will get a 125cc-250cc since but I will have to do some more research. And then I will be buying a sports bike like the cb500f later on or a 700.

I'm just wanting to be able to spend the least amount of money but still get a good quality bike that I can practice on and get the hang on before I get out in the real world with traffic and the road lol instead of dirt and grass.

I will still need gear tho so yeah I'll also be looking at that.

In the title is my age (18) and how tall I am (6'0") and weight (200lbs)

Thanks for the reply I think I will get a 125cc-250cc since but I will have to do some more research. And then I will be buying a sports bike like the cb500f later on or a 700.

I'm just wanting to be able to spend the least amount of money but still get a good quality bike that I can practice on and get the hang on before I get out in the real world with traffic and the road lol instead of dirt and grass.

I will still need gear tho so yeah I'll also be looking at that.

if you are considering a 125, get one with a six speed. yamaha and honda would be my first choices for low cost easy to get parts and reliability on the 250's. you wont get tired of either of them in the hp dept, and lots of ways to modify them for offroad. ktm is a good choice too. just not as easy to find parts for them.

if you are considering a 125, get one with a six speed. yamaha and honda would be my first choices for low cost easy to get parts and reliability on the 250's. you wont get tired of either of them in the hp dept, and lots of ways to modify them for offroad. ktm is a good choice too. just not as easy to find parts for them.

Awesome thanks, I just read another forum talking about the 125's. That being skillful can kick an inexperienced 250's ass and the 125 is more forgiving and less painful and everything about that so I will go talk to other riders but I am closing in on the 125's. I will definitely look at the Honda's and Yamaha's. Thanks again

well i have both. the 125 for a guy your size is going to have some limits. i am just a bit lighter than you and my 125's are big bore kitted, but the stockers are fun too, just limited a little over the 250's. 125's are little higher upkeep too. but again, i like them both

I would not get a 125 with no experience and your size. 250 2st would be the best value and fit for you. By the time you learn to ride it and use the brakes you will have a better idea of what you want as a newer or bigger street bike.

a yz250 is gonna be faster than a cb500f :D
You learn on that and the CB will feel tame, and you'll wish you bought a gixxer instead.
Either way i bet you'll get hooked on the dirt it's so much damn fun.
Also don't look at spending bottom dollar on a dirt bike it will probably be a heap and give you nothing but trouble, and you want to spend your time riding not wrenching. It can be a quick flip and you can probably get what you pay for it when you go to sell. Heck I've bought bikes, rode for a few months and sold em for MORE than what I paid. Just a thought. Good luck on the hunt an have fun ridin!

well i have both. the 125 for a guy your size is going to have some limits. i am just a bit lighter than you and my 125's are big bore kitted, but the stockers are fun too, just limited a little over the 250's. 125's are little higher upkeep too. but again, i like them both

Yeah now that I think of it, 125 might not be enough well heck of I know. But people say that the 250's will have me on my ass, maybe that's for lil kids idk lol, but of course I'll be careful. I just don't want something that I'll be bored of in a couple months or so.

I dont think you would necessarily feel bored with the 125. as some of your friends have told you, they will beat a 250 or open bike lots of the time. I never get bored with the ones I have, even though I have 250 two strokes as well as a modified crf250. (I also have several of the xr line and a cr500 too). the 250 is just more versatile in stock form for guys that will be doing lots of things and the fun factor of just being able to accelerate lots harder than you can on a 125 can't be over emphasized for holding someone's interest.

125s would be an awesome bike to get the fundamentals on. And by time you get comfortable trashing on it. U will be ready for a street bike.:banana:

Go with a gsxr great bike
I would try em all lol

Last edited:
I want to get into a street bike I was thinking a cb500f or something 700cc but I talked to this Ducati guy and he told me to just try a light cheap ass dirt bike and learn the gears and feel how to ride safely before trying a bigger bike cuz that's what he did and I thought that's a good idea.

I need a cheap dirt bike about 1,000$-3,000$ cheaper is better haha, since I won't have it at most for a year before I buy a bigger bike.

I need something for my height which I have no clue about what will fit me.

I'm just planning to go around out in the country and practice how to ride and the gears and maybe once I get the hang of it try some trails.

All answers will be awesome thanks!
Sure thing! Starting with a budget-friendly dirt bike to learn the basics is a smart move, just like the Ducati enthusiast suggested. Check out tribicycle for affordable options ($1,000-$3,000) that fit your height. Practicing in the countryside and gradually trying trails is a great plan. Enjoy the ride and feel free to explore this website and learn about dirt bikes