What is the best of both worlds?

After last weeks little crash at the track and my fairly severe elbow soreness that is just now 9 days later starting to feel better, I am starting to reconsider my longevity in this area.
More than anything I need to be able to work, and crashing a bike at my age isn't conducive to getting to work on Monday.

Caveat - since Zach has now been to the track during the races, he now wants to race. 1 month ago he had no desire, but I think when he saw all the other kids out there his age he wanted to get out there, which I expected might happen. This means I can now live vicariously through him, and I can stick to less dangerous sports, like skydiving.

However, I still like the vet track's, and I still plan to do a lot of trail-riding, and I'm thinking I would like to move into a bigger 4 stroke machine, like a 450ish size, but something with a headlight.
I have considered the XR400, but after riding my XR200 I dont think the suspension is up to the task.

Is there a bike out there that has race suspension, is a 4 stroke, that's light (I dont need a battery/starter yet), has a headlight, that can do both easily, and what do you guys recommend?

I'm getting pretty comfortable with the YZ250's speed and performance so I dont want to take a step down from that, but I dont like the 2 stroke mechanical learning curve I'm going through.
I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age :thinking:

Last edited:
After last weeks little crash at the track and my fairly severe elbow soreness that is just now 9 days later starting to feel better, I am starting to reconsider my longevity in this area.
More than anything I need to be able to work, and crashing a bike at my age isn't conducive to getting to work on Monday.

Caveat - since Zach has now been to the track during the races, he now wants to race. 1 month ago he had no desire, but I think when he saw all the other kids out there his age he wanted to get out there, which I expected might happen. This means I can now live vicariously through him, and I can stick to less dangerous sports, like skydiving.

However, I still like the vet track's, and I still plan to do a lot of trail-riding, and I'm thinking I would like to move into a bigger 4 stroke machine, like a 450ish size, but something with a headlight.
I have considered the XR400, but after riding my XR200 I dont think the suspension is up to the task.

Is there a bike out there that has race suspension, is a 4 stroke, that's light (I dont need a battery/starter yet), has a headlight, that can do both easily, and what do you guys recommend?

I'm getting pretty comfortable with the YZ250's speed and performance so I dont want to take a step down from that, but I dont like the 2 stroke mechanical learning curve I'm going through.
I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age :thinking:

Here's some advice:
1: quit being a pussy. Life is to short not to live it to the fullest. Yes family is a priority but you got to be happy too. Take those risks. I only regret the things I didn't do.
2: xr400 is an awesome bike. Completely different from the xr200.
3: 2t or 4t every time there's an issue there will be a mechanical learning curve. Making the mistakes you made from the beginning is what have all done at one time or another just so we could ride tomorrow.
4: the YZ is an awesome woods and desert bike. Just need to set it up right.
5: get your kid into an MX class before you send him out there. Beginner racers are the most dangerous bunch because they have the courage but have zero skill sets.
6: dress for the crash. Without question it's not "if" you crash but "when".

I'm not hucking the 75 footers anymore (well not the scary ones) but I still do the 40 footers, skip through the whoops and style through the rhythms and will always love the clank when that gate drops.
Just my $.02

I have my 2008 TE450 at the house in Prescott. I had it on the market in AZ and CA for 4500. Have a guy here now asking about it agin after a 6 month off CL but he kept my number, told him 75 bucks and I will bring it back from AZ next trip.
It has 800 miles on a complete restoration, and 1500 in engine work back in 2013. She has been a great bike for riding DS with my youngest.
What I am saying, is if you are interested, I would still sell it, but not dirt cheep, like you are probably looking for. What slays me is how asswipes in socal think an 06 CRF450X is worth 5500. What a joke!

1: quit being a pussy.
LOL, thats funny. I am not a pussy. I'm a professional skydiver with 4500 jumps and 19 years in the sport, so I am pretty sure nobody can say that, but I get your point. I'm just trying to be responsible and ensure that I can provide for the kiddo.
And I have much experience with injury and broken bones, but they lead to a loss of revenue.

5: get your kid into an MX class before you send him out there.
Yes, this has been planned and spoken with the owners of ACP and they have given me the contact info of the guy that does that class. But I only have Zach every other weekend so it's always a juggle...

6: dress for the crash. Without question it's not "if" you crash but "when".
I was dressed for the crash. It still hurts, and I am so happy I had on what I did, otherwise I might be injured and miss work.

Last edited:
I have my 2008 TE450 at the house in Prescott. I had it on the market in AZ and CA for 4500. Have a guy here now asking about it agin after a 6 month off CL but he kept my number, told him 75 bucks and I will bring it back from AZ next trip.
It has 800 miles on a complete restoration, and 1500 in engine work back in 2013. She has been a great bike for riding DS with my youngest.
What I am saying, is if you are interested, I would still sell it, but not dirt cheep, like you are probably looking for. What slays me is how asswipes in socal think an 06 CRF450X is worth 5500. What a joke!
Yeah budget is always a consideration. I dont make much.
And everyone here thinks their trucks and motorcycles are worth 10X as much as they are.
Remember that POS 85 Magna 700 I bought for $100.00?
I met a kid that has the same bike for sale here, that is asking $700.00 for it. When I looked at it, it was worse than the one I bought, which was/is a rat.
I offered him $60.00 for it, which he declined of course, but it wasn't even worth that.

I know what I would do, and I would only say where bikes and racing are concerned not to let your imagination take over, and influence your decisions. I know a 'jump bum'. His name is Robert Johns. As near as I know he is still jumping. In his 60's. I think you need about three times or more the amount of jumps you have to catch him. I knew one of his gfs more than him (she jumped too and was on the first para ski team (gold btw) with Robert) He was born with money.

Every track queen I've brought out into the mountains has tucked his dick between his legs and cried. I believe the track is for a little fun when you have a hour to kill or for shake down runs after repairs on a bike. I can get far more physical exertion with way less broken bones where I go, so if I were you I'd help your kid out with the racing thing and support him 100% then go out where the big people play for your recreation, maybe start getting the kid out there as well after he's gotten tired of riding track. My girls have been hitting the technical trails the last couple years and are becoming very accomplished as riders. So much more satisfaction with far less interruptions from paying your mortgage.

Also,

I usually do, and I feel that way too, but at the end of the day I'm a single Father with a mortgage. Should be enough said, yes?

Same here.... that's why I keep the risks to a minimum these days. No one said you had to ride moto and no one said you had to snail through trees. What you should do is make yourself happy regardless of what you decide to do as a father & son team.

crashing a bike at any age is not conducive to getting to work on Monday. Longevity is relative, there's no guarantees for anyone my friend. Do what you can with this day, that's all you can do. Sure we must plan for the future but don't expect you are going to get a future. Sure as shit you refrain from something you love to do because it might affect your ability to do your job, then you show up Monday and they fire your ass. You can :blah: about the sacrifices you have made for them when you are cleaning out your desk.
Oh, and trail riding isn't any safer!
at least not the way I do it.

Oh btw I had a pretty good get off last weekend and I'm limping around and It sucks for sure buuut, i also in the past have shot a nail gun through my hand framing, almost cut my thumb off making custom shutters, fell off a roof installing satellite dishes got chemical burns in a MEK bottling factory, broken nose and knocked unconscious swinging an I beam in a metal shop.. all in an effort to earn a buck which I subsequently handed over to someone else. Fk that. I moto. That makes me awesome. One day i will quit riding, but I know it will be because I have to, and not because I'm afraid of what will happen if I don't.

I appreciate all the replies, all good stuff, and I'm sure I will find a happy medium.

I'm not saying I'm going to quit riding at the track, but I still want to pick up another bike that can do both if I can.
I bottom my XR200 easily, and the KLX650 is just to big and heavy, plus it's for sale.
I also want something with a different transmission. That YZ goes through the gears in no time and could use a 6th IMO.
Something I could ride to and from the track would be cool, but not on the roads. The track is about 50-60 miles of desert from me.
A bike that has valves, is in the 400cc range, could go 100 miles on a tank, have good enough suspension to race/jump with, and has a headlight to get home with would be perfect.
Do they exist?

I appreciate all the replies, all good stuff, and I'm sure I will find a happy medium.

I'm not saying I'm going to quit riding at the track, but I still want to pick up another bike that can do both if I can.
I bottom my XR200 easily, and the KLX650 is just to big and heavy, plus it's for sale.
I also want something with a different transmission. That YZ goes through the gears in no time and could use a 6th IMO.
Something I could ride to and from the track would be cool, but not on the roads. The track is about 50-60 miles of desert from me.
A bike that has valves, is in the 400cc range, could go 100 miles on a tank, have good enough suspension to race/jump with, and has a headlight to get home with would be perfect.
Do they exist?

They exist in 4t and 2t. Palmers yzs are set for dualsport.

WR trans in the YZ and the lighting kit to make it AZ legal, you got the 99-01, should look for a 04 steel, or a 06 with SSS and put the WR, & light kit on it.
TE is a race bike with a headlight, same as TC brother/sister bike.
XR400 or 650 in DS trim is a desert bike, not to great on track at all.
KLX650 is one step from 4 wheeled couch.
KTM, fag!!!