Want to buy a bike

I'm 6'0 180 and have bought a TTR-125 because I haven't rode a dirt bike in a very long time but now I am really comfortable with the bike and looking for something bigger and that has more power but nothing over the top

SRAD97750

Staff member
Excellent, what type of riding are you doing? Trails? Desert? MX?
Probably a 250 2T will suit you fine. -BIG DAN:thumb:

You are certainly big enough that you can have about anything sizewise. Honda xr's are wonderful trail bikes. 250-650 are all nice choices for a man your size. the ones that came out in 91 to the last of those sizes had cartridge forks on them which makes the suspension very good where trails are concerned.

The kdx 200/220 is excellent, but around here getting harder to find, and our kawasaki dealer locally has literally nothing nothing on the shelf for them, making the xr a little more desireable. neither requires much though, if you start with one in good shape.

Yamaha has made wr's in two stroke and fourstroke configurations and both are really reliable, but maybe harder to find and more costly than the above.

Excellent, what type of riding are you doing? Trails? Desert? MX?
Probably a 250 2T will suit you fine. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Man I looked all over for some desert to ride in NJ twice!! They have lots of beach, but the closeminded sorts like my brother inlaw who built there (we call him "hurricane catcher") won't let you ride on it.

Last edited:
Haven't rode a dirtbike in a "very long time" huh?
First off, how old are you? And how long is a very long time?
And what did you ride back then?

Depending on your answer, the many options available are more easily sortable.

If you're older like me (45) and have a decent amount of experience (albeit 30 years ago), you may just want to step up a size, to a TTR 230 as Farmboy suggested. It wont be "over the top", like you said you didn't want, but should feel comfortable as you already have some seat time on the smaller version.

However, if you we're a racer on a yz, cr, kx, or rm, then you might want to find one of those in the 250 size, like has been suggested.

But if you are just wanting to go trail riding and be happy with a decent amount of power for your size, I will say that my XR200R that I picked up recently, (and just put another 40 miles on today), is a fine bike for this purpose, hauls my butt around just fine, and is reliable as hell. And I am about 185lbs.

I am sure the the other Jap 4-strokes available in the 200-400cc range are just as reliable, comfortable, and handle very similar. You probably couldn't go wrong with any of them.

IMO - if you want to go fast quickly, buy a 2-stroke. If you want to do anything other, then buy a 4-stroke. The throttle response is more linear and forgiving.

But again, all this depends on how old you are, how athletic you are, and how beat up you are. I am pretty beat up over the years, so I dont require much oomph.

Also, as M33 put forth, budget is always a consideration.

Just my $.02.

Last edited: