250F valve clearance question (KX250f)

So i have a 05 kx250f that i traded a kx125 for an it was a few months back but when i first got it one/two kicks an it would start up an it slowly got hard to start an finally wouldnt so thinking it was just a carb problem i put a jet kit in an it started working again but not the same it ran for about 5 rides an was back to not starting and i didnt touch anything. so the other day i checked the valves an intake was .004 an .004 and exhaust was .009 an .008 and standard is .003 - .010 and .007 - .016 what im trying to get to is ask is it good to be so close to the lowest number. im new to fourstokes an im wanting to get it fixed to sell so i can go back to a two stroke. any help would be nice thanks.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Welcome.
Your valves are on the very tight end, which is why you are having hard starting. Also, clean the carburetor again while you're in there.
I like them in the middle to the high end of the spec.
If you adjust the valves by shimming, pay very close attention to the clearances in the near future for additional movement. Once they start moving, they are on their way out. -BIG DAN:thumb: