Valve adjustment/replacement cost.

So the bike i may be getting (yz250f) needs its valves adjustment or maybe replaced, could someone let me know about how much it would cost to do these?

If I was planning on paying a shop I would set aside 2 hours at whatever your local rate is for adjustment and diagnosis. If it needs headwork it goes up pretty dramatically. I think if you are paying for the work I would set aside 1200 for parts labor and machine work. And I wouldn't be surprised to see it running twice that much once its opened up. (when you find bad valves on a Yamaha you usually have very high hours and needing at least a complete new top end is almost a given). Then you have to wonder if you want a new full power top end working with a tired crankshaft and who knows what in the transmission.

So the bike i may be getting (yz250f) needs its valves adjustment or maybe replaced, could someone let me know about how much it would cost to do these?

It can get pricey to replace valves like Ossa said. $1200 and then it goes up from there.
If you are looking for a bike that's easier on the wallet then a 2stroke 250 would be the right thing. Replace the top end for about $125 in parts for cheap insurance and you are good to go.

If you want a race type motorcycle and are sized for it, a 125 (I far prefer the 6 speed models to 5 speed ones ) is a good place to start. You can cut your teeth on doing your own work for. Reasonable $.

SRAD97750

Staff member
A valve adjustment costs me about $4 per shim. I do it myself.
At a dealer you're looking at a couple hundred bucks for labor.

If they are beyond adjusting, valve jobs can get expensive. I don't do much valve seat work myself. -BIG DAN:thumb: