Used bike. No papers

I found a local dirtbike I'm interested in. Its an 89 Suzuki rm250. Looks good. Asking price is $1000 OBO. problem here is seller claims he has no paperwork for the bike. What are the ramifications of buying a bike that has no paperwork? Is this something I should avoid all together? I appreciate your insight on the situation :wink:

James

Staff member
I found a local dirtbike I'm interested in. Its an 89 Suzuki rm250. Looks good. Asking price is $1000 OBO. problem here is seller claims he has no paperwork for the bike. What are the ramifications of buying a bike that has no paperwork? Is this something I should avoid all together? I appreciate your insight on the situation :wink:
Depends on your state and with you being in Cali..... :bonk:

Neither one of my bikes have/had a title, Indiana doesn't require us to register them. :thumb: I just get a bill of sale from the seller.

If it sounds iffy, walk away. Or at the very least have your local PD run the vin number.

Depends on your state and with you being in Cali..... :bonk:

Neither one of my bikes have/had a title, Indiana doesn't require us to register them. :thumb: I just get a bill of sale from the seller.

If it sounds iffy, walk away. Or at the very least have your local PD run the vin number.

I have an aunt that works at the DMV so I know I can have that part taken care of without a problem. So how does this coincide with getting a green sticker? I'm new to the scene so excuse my FNG questions. Bill of sale. Of course. What would you offer for a bike of this age? He also has no idea about the hour count.

Here's a shot at the bike
5L35E65Me3Mf3N93H1c4q22406ab053c31c85.jpg

Check the VIN with the DMV. If it is not in the system you are good and you can title it with a bill of sale. If it is in the system, forget about it. Then do the same with your Sheriff to see if it's stolen or not.

Check the VIN with the DMV. If it is not in the system you are good and you can title it with a bill of sale. If it is in the system, forget about it. Then do the same with your Sheriff to see if it's stolen or not.

Carl, with the California DMV is there a way to do this with out having to go to the DMV? Is there an "online" way to check? :noidea:

Carl, with the California DMV is there a way to do this with out having to go to the DMV? Is there an "online" way to check? :noidea:
I think this can be done on the Kelley blue book website. Or for that matter. Any other used vehicle website. I'll ask for the vin number and run it.

I thought you were talking to me...lol. my name is Carlo.

Not that I'm aware of. I've used AAA in the past though. They used to not do green sticker, but just give them the VIN and they can let you know if it's in the system or not.

Looks like there is an online thing at http://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/vrr.htm but they want $2. Now $2 won't even buy the gas to get me to my AAA or DMV so it's a comparative deal. Oh crap it's for your vehicle only. What is that good for? I guess there isn't an online way.

Or it was stolen......:noidea:
That's what I'm thinking. I asked him or her. Who knows. If he ever got the VIN. Said he would text it to me when he got it. Funny...when I have a perspective buyer,I try to get the info asap and strike while the iron is hot.