Other TTR 125 throttle and idle

hey everybody. I'm new here. I just bought my 13 yr old a TTR 125. It's a 2005. We'll I noticed the idle was running low so I adjusted it and now the throttle/handle is stuck and wo t move and the idle is way too high but the problem is the screw was stripped and now I need to figure out how to get the screw out to replace and how to fix the throttle. HELP!!!

Sounds to me like your bike needs the carb removed, cleaned & adjusted, possibly some new parts (like an idle speed screw, needle and seat, bowl gasket/o-ring, and throw in a pilot jet for good measure), maybe some throttle parts. The throttle handles are pretty straight-forward designs, not much to them. Make sure the cable is good and moves freely. The problem could be at the carb end.
The stripped idle speed screw might be able to be drilled out, maybe less. Maybe help it from the inside. Either way the carb should come off.
Now is a good time to get acquainted with your carb, and a service manual would be in your best interest.
The'yre pretty simple really. Lots of good vids on YT, just do a search and you'll be off and running...

Welcome to DBA :ride:!
Also, photos help tremendously, just resize them first.

Sounds to me like your bike needs the carb removed, cleaned & adjusted, possibly some new parts (like an idle speed screw, needle and seat, bowl gasket/o-ring, and throw in a pilot jet for good measure), maybe some throttle parts. The throttle handles are pretty straight-forward designs, not much to them. Make sure the cable is good and moves freely. The problem could be at the carb end.
The stripped idle speed screw might be able to be drilled out, maybe less. Maybe help it from the inside. Either way the carb should come off.
Now is a good time to get acquainted with your carb, and a service manual would be in your best interest.
The'yre pretty simple really. Lots of good vids on YT, just do a search and you'll be off and running...

Welcome to DBA :ride:!
Also, photos help tremendously, just resize them first.

Man, I was hoping I didn't have to do all of that. Everything was fine until I tried to mess with that idle screw. Why would that have affected the throttle? Maybe just a coincidence? Or maybe opening up the idle irritated an already existing problem area? So after looking at some videos, here is my strategy. 1) check the throttle and it might be that the cable froze and I can get it moving again.... 2) I will try and maybe hammer a flathead into the screw in a way that I can get it out, and if not, I will try and drill it out. 3) Go from there.

The problem might be in the cable, that would be easy too.
But In order to properly assess the throttle you're gonna have to remove the throttle cap on the carb. You're gonna want to ensure that the throttle valve moves freely in the carb, and check the condition of the spring, position/condition of the jet needle, etc. Once you're this far, it's just another 2 phillips head clamps and a fuel line, and the thing is in your hand. You might need to loosen the subframe to loosen up the airbox, but thats easy with 2 seat bolts, and 3 subframe bolts if necessary.
Once the carb is in your hand you might as well clean it and replace worn parts. Especially if the bike sat for any length of time.

Just call up RMATV, tell them what you got and BLAMMO! 3 days later you get a shiny new toy/part in the mail for your kids dirtbike.
Install new carb parts into shiny clean carb and add new gas = bike runs like a raped ape = kid smiles = good dad :ride:.
Easy peasy.

You'll probably get lucky and that idle screw will come out with the screwdriver like you mentioned, but if not I would be very careful with a drill. If you mess up the threads in the carb itself you wont be happy with the outcome.
I would try and unspin in it from inside the carb first, if I was able.

Also - it looks like you have a diaphragm thingy on the side of your carb. If the rubber in those gets old and gummy it will affect performance. They're easy to replace if you need to though, but they are pricey.

Last edited:
The problem might be in the cable, that would be easy too.
But In order to properly assess the throttle you're gonna have to remove the throttle cap on the carb. You're gonna want to ensure that the throttle valve moves freely in the carb, and check the condition of the spring, position/condition of the jet needle, etc. Once you're this far, it's just another 2 phillips head clamps and a fuel line, and the thing is in your hand. You might need to loosen the subframe to loosen up the airbox, but thats easy with 2 seat bolts, and 3 subframe bolts if necessary.
Once the carb is in your hand you might as well clean it and replace worn parts. Especially if the bike sat for any length of time.

Just call up RMATV, tell them what you got and BLAMMO! 3 days later you get a shiny new toy/part in the mail for your kids dirtbike.
Install new carb parts into shiny clean carb and add new gas = bike runs like a raped ape = kid smiles = good dad :ride:.
Easy peasy.

You'll probably get lucky and that idle screw will come out with the screwdriver like you mentioned, but if not I would be very careful with a drill. If you mess up the threads in the carb itself you wont be happy with the outcome.
I would try and unspin in it from inside the carb first, if I was able.

Also - it looks like you have a diaphragm thingy on the side of your carb. If the rubber in those gets old and gummy it will affect performance. They're easy to replace if you need to though, but they are pricey.

Awesome! Thanks!