Truing a Rim?

Has anyone ever trued a rim before? I have seen videos of people using wheel stands and special wheel holders, is the any way to do it without those stands? I saw a guy on YouTube use a dry erase marker with his front tire not removed. (just held it against the fork) has anybody laced a rim? Any help would be great. Rims are getting a little sketchy....

Never laced but trued many... I purchased a stand long ago for my bicycles and use it for my moto wheels now. Before I did I made this....
Take a piece of wood 1"X2"X4" and cut a "V" out of it long ways, pre-drill and run a screw through it sideways. Now, put that on the fork tube or swing arm (screw pointing at rim) and strap it on with Zip Ties. Run the screw in to the rim so that it is either making a slight scraping noise and/or hitting the high spots.
Now, when it hits a high spot, loosen that side spoke and tighten the other side on either side of the one you loosen. Primitive, but it will get you where you need. Eventually, you will learn the whole rhythm and do great. I can't dish or lace, but can get it back in spec from original. Good luck..

Rims are a bit easier to replace now, this is due to the way spokes are now designed. Look at an old wheel or even a bicycle wheel with inner and outer ones that have the ends bent (85 to 105 degrees or so) and require a set procedure for initial installation that the new ones dont. Usually if I start with a new rim, clean spokes and a bare honda cr or yz hub I have a straight wheel in under an hour. I know people that could give you 4 or 5 similar ones.

You can make the stand from just about anything for the spokeup. I used a vice, and had the axle verticle for so long(usually used a pint can of gasket sealer that was always on the bench as a guide to start the process) that I still usuall do it that way rather than use a truing stand. Sometimes a bent one is a little peskier to deal with and I will use the stand for better viewing.

Motion Pro has some decent spoke wrenches, but the on I always seem to start with is a 4 inch crescent (by brand) which is of the wide jaw variety. It is short and fast and once y ou are used to rolling it tight works well to apply the tork, which is on the light side. I use the right ones once i have the alignment the way I want it.

My suggestion is to play with one awhile and see if you want to try it on your mount that you ride. Getting one straight is half the battle, the other have is straight and strong, which means even tension on the spokes. Listening to them ring doesnt do much for me, I have a feel that I like. Having it (the wheel)in a horizontal position allows me to put my weight on it and feel for flex and watch for movement as well. Before you ask, I don't know anyone else still living that does it this way.

There are some nice torque wrenches made for this, but so far I haven't bought one. Wheels are so much stronger now, it just isnt something I do as often. Like 5 times in the last 3 years. The old drum wheels were more like 5 times a month some months.

I havent looked, but the net must be full of pictorials and instrutionals.