250 transmission won't shift

I have recently split the case on my 2001 kx 250. Now that I have put them both together the transmission will not shift at all. It feels as though the shift drum is seized. I the transmission spins fine. The forks are all lined up on the drum I just dont know why it wont shift

SRAD97750

Staff member
I have recently split the case on my 2001 kx 250. Now that I have put them both together the transmission will not shift at all. It feels as though the shift drum is seized. I the transmission spins fine. The forks are all lined up on the drum I just dont know why it wont shift
WELCOME.
I recommend taking it apart and trying again. Sometimes things bind up.
I like to wiggle and spin everything while assembling the cases. If something stops operating smoothly, try and find the bind.-BIG DAN:thumb:

Are the thrust washers in the proper locations? When you were going back with the case halves were you checking to see if the input and output shafts spun freely? Sounds like you may have to split the case and see what's going on there....when you start to separate the case, see if the transmission frees up or not, that may give you an indication of where the problem is. Oh yeah, I see BIG DAN beat me to it again, must be good advice if it matches mine.

Last edited:
I got it! Im just dumb and had the drum in wrong. I have one other problem though. The clutch push rod doesnt reach the pressure plate. Its like its too short. If I pull the actuator it doesnt engage it.

I got it! Im just dumb and had the drum in wrong. I have one other problem though. The clutch push rod doesnt reach the pressure plate. Its like its too short. If I pull the actuator it doesnt engage it.

There are several pics to that push rod if I remember correctly.
image.jpg

i am currently rebuilding a kx 250 that i inherited. i got all the motor in two 5 gallon buckets. i think i have all the parts and had to buy some. my problem is when i put the case back together the transmission spins until i am about 1/8 of an inch to be completely together then it locks up. i have pulled apart three times and this has happened every time. could there be something tweaked or just keep trying til it works

SRAD97750

Staff member
i am currently rebuilding a kx 250 that i inherited. i got all the motor in two 5 gallon buckets. i think i have all the parts and had to buy some. my problem is when i put the case back together the transmission spins until i am about 1/8 of an inch to be completely together then it locks up. i have pulled apart three times and this has happened every time. could there be something tweaked or just keep trying til it works
I just had this issue last weekend...
Either a bearing is not fully seated in the case, or a shim is not in the right order on the trans. Take it apart, check your parts diagram, and put it back together again! -BIG DAN:thumb:

There is also the possibility that the cases have been matched or machined for perfection. Sometimes it requires a double gasket. I would triple check that all of the shims and bearings are correctly installed first though.

A double gasket is about the distance I am missing by. I will pull it part again and make sure everything is in its correct place. Has me flabbergasted

A double gasket is about the distance I am missing by. I will pull it part again and make sure everything is in its correct place. Has me flabbergasted

I was thinking that way until you said it was binding with 1/8" left....will the crank still turn or does it bind also when this happens?

Well I'd say go with BIG DAN'S advice A few posts back. I believe he's right about somthing being not lined up or installed properly, there have been times that I have had to try several times before i got everything lined up right, and usually not knowing what the difference was that finally made it to go together properly.....just a matter of holding your tounge differently somtimes I guess.

Last edited:
Alright I split the case this morning and found one of the gears is grinding on the inside of the case and I think that's where it is binding at. Is there a washer that needs to go in between there. I have looked at the parts and I don't see anything. Something is just off enough. Could it be the case cause to bend the shaft seems unreasonable