500 Too much gear oil in a 1990 kx500

I run Honda hp tranny oil I’ve never heard it foaming before

It will foam because there isn’t enough open crank case to ventilate it properly and then it starts pushing seals out. If it’s a 100cc more not a big deal if it’s 800cc than there should be then that’s a problem.

It is fine a little extra is a good thing. But if you are nervous which it seems u r then drain out a little. Take the drain plug out and drop a little and put the plug back in. A little messy but easy.

SRAD97750

Staff member
There is usually an "oil level plug" on the crankcase or clutch cover that allows you to appropriately fill the transmission without knowing how much oil is in there, how much oil you have, or how much oil you need.
Not all bikes have them, but most 2T models from that era do.
-BIG DAN:thumb:
YZ125_45.jpg

There is usually an "oil level plug" on the crankcase or clutch cover that allows you to appropriately fill the transmission without knowing how much oil is in there, how much oil you have, or how much oil you need.
Not all bikes have them, but most 2T models from that era do.
-BIG DAN:thumb:
View attachment 32663

That oil hole has been known to be in the wrong place for many years on the Japanese bikes. Best to dump and re-fill the recommended amount per the manual. It is also a great way to recognize if the machine (2 strokes in this case) is pulling oil from a bad crank seal (also noted by excessive spooge). What goes in, should come out with slight variation of oil left in bulkheads of the cases (very minimal), anything way less "could be" bad seal.

Yep, 100cc not going to make a difference. I run about 50 over in my 250 smokers all the time with no issues and zero foaming.
Just looking at the peep hole glass on the cover it’s almost full but with some room at the top of it what should it roughly be at? Note the bike hasn’t ran or has been rode since this change

Just looking at the peep hole glass on the cover it’s almost full but with some room at the top of it what should it roughly be at? Note the bike hasn’t ran or has been rode since this change
That would be about the location of oil if freshly filled. Run bike and get it warm, oil should not be much (if any) less after an hour of sitting. Are there any marks on the glass/case for reference, like a hi/lo line?

It’s a bit over. Run it. You’ll Get some oil bleeding out of the breather hose.