Tires

so I have a 2000 yz250 I'm in the presses of converting it to a woods bike, it's still got a 19 inch rear wheel. Planning on swapping it with an 18 eventually. It's about time to put new tires on. This is my first time buying tires of it. Basically I ride in packed dirt, mud, gravel, sharp rocks and some tree roots, and some pavement. I'd like to find a tire that grips well and will last. I know everyone has there opinion on who makes the best tire. Any experience you can share is greatly appreciated thanks

SRAD97750

Staff member
Maxxis is my go to offroad tire. You're going to get every recommendation under the sun in a thread like this.
I recommend finding front end grip and rear end lifespan. -BIG DAN:thumb:

so I have a 2000 yz250 I'm in the presses of converting it to a woods bike, it's still got a 19 inch rear wheel. Planning on swapping it with an 18 eventually. It's about time to put new tires on. This is my first time buying tires of it. Basically I ride in packed dirt, mud, gravel, sharp rocks and some tree roots, and some pavement. I'd like to find a tire that grips well and will last. I know everyone has there opinion on who makes the best tire. Any experience you can share is greatly appreciated thanks

I rode on a half worn out Shinko dual compound recently. Roots, rocks, hard pack, mud. I was set not to like it but I really did, and considering all the knobs were rounded and it probably had 40 hours on it according the guy guiding us "at least ten rides". rides are 4 hours, but it didn't seem like it.

It had a maxis maxx cross it on there rear when I got t and it gripped pretty well but I had the side knobs start to rip away from the tire and if I pull the knob a little I can see right through the tire. And now Iv got a Sedona mx8871 it on it, my buddy had it laying around so I put it on. It seems to grip really well and holding up pretty well. It's got a Dunlop sports d952f on the front. Can't complain about it. The knobs are ripping off of it now too tho so I'm gonna be replacing it soon.

Michelin S12, front and rear, although the M12 on the rear is decent also. Then again, this all depends on where you're riding.

Didn't they replace the M12 with the Starcross? At least that's what I was told when I bought tires last spring. But I agree M12 rear and S12 front was my prefered choice for my mountain trails.