Tires...

Whats better? Hard Terrain tire in soft stuff or Soft Terrain tire in hard pack?

get an intermediate terrain tire and be done with it :P

but id say hard terrain tire in soft will be best, because a soft terrain tire will chunk on rocks, because the knobs lack flexibility

get an intermediate terrain tire and be done with it :P
lol.. yeah thats what i was thinking... just read that trials tires work really well in the sand which surprised me so i guess i'll stick with that one, haven't ridden with it yet though.

Be careful of hard terrain tires in the soft stuff. I currently have a Pirelli XCMH on the front and a MT43 on the rear. The MH stands for Mid-Hard. I've not lost any side knobs, but the traction is pretty bad in the desert. On rocks it's good but in the sand it's scary.

Be careful of hard terrain tires in the soft stuff. I currently have a Pirelli XCMH on the front and a MT43 on the rear. The MH stands for Mid-Hard. I've not lost any side knobs, but the traction is pretty bad in the desert. On rocks it's good but in the sand it's scary.

just the fronts bad or the back too? I've got a D952f and a D803 on my bike now but haven't ridden with either yet

I was under the impression that some hard terrain tires were of a softer compound, to "stick to" the rock, hardpack while some soft terrain tires were harder to "dig into" the loam.:thinking:

Not too many rides on them, but I'm loving my Michellin S12's.
I dropped one on the back of the YZ over T-day and my son loved it, so we put one on his 250. He was pleased with the hook up in all conditions...Wear so far is great.

IMO I'd look at what you ride more of, thats what you want to buy for.
to buy a hard front terrain tire when you ride 70% soft and 30% hard doesn't make any sense.
I personally only run soft-intermediate tires, with Dunlop d756's and Mx31/51 being my favorites