Tire Changing Tools

Alright guys, I'm signed up for a 250 mile dual sport ride. I'm looking into getting a spare tube and tools to change a flat. Please give me your input on what is the must have on the trail to get this done. Also what pouches are best to carry them in. :ride:

a 21 will work for any tire, I use 3 irons also, its just easier. I also like to have a rag large enuf to put the wheel on on the ground to keep the dirt n sand out of the bearings. Then to fill the tube I use the CO2 style device. It takes 2 cartridges to seat the bead most of the time. If it doesnt seat then just ride it some and then check again. Some sort of lube helps-WD, soap, even water from your camel back.

a20792a12fbb89f1f29dfa_m.JPG

I have a set of these.

a 21 will work for any tire, I use 3 irons also, its just easier. I also like to have a rag large enuf to put the wheel on on the ground to keep the dirt n sand out of the bearings. Then to fill the tube I use the CO2 style device. It takes 2 cartridges to seat the bead most of the time. If it doesnt seat then just ride it some and then check again. Some sort of lube helps-WD, soap, even water from your camel back.

This is good stuff for me (beginner tire changer). Never had to change a tire yet. I know its just a matter of time.

I use two spoons the same as Racks set up. Mine are not KTM but the small one is 12mm and 13mm. the big one is 22mm for the DRZ. Then tube coated with bably powder in ziplock bag. This helps with not getting pinches in the tube when installing. I put a valve stem remover on my rear shock spot for storage. Co2 setup with back up pump style. This is the essentials but there are a couple other things to make life easier. Like the tube stem snake, some bar of dry soap for bead lube and that's about it. Good luck and have fun.

Before you start your trek. I would ensure that you have heavy duty tubes installed. Depending on what type of off road terrain your going to be riding I would bump up your tire pressure just a little to help ensure that a pinched tube is avoided. Three tire irons are pretty much the norm.

This guy here is a life saver
url]

The bead buddy here is very nice to have also.
url]

And the longer the tire iron (spoon) you have the easier it is to mount and dismount a tire. Plenty of lubricant. A small bottle of dish washing soap cut with 2/3 water works best for me.
One last thing that I will mention having the right compound tire makes all the difference in the word. I found these tires called MOTOZ, and they are by far the easiest desert terrain tire I have ever mounted. I would compare them to mounting a SX race tire but just a little more on the stiff side.

Before you start your trek. I would ensure that you have heavy duty tubes installed. Depending on what type of off road terrain your going to be riding I would bump up your tire pressure just a little to help ensure that a pinched tube is avoided. Three tire irons are pretty much the norm.

This guy here is a life saver
url]

The bead buddy here is very nice to have also.
url]

And the longer the tire iron (spoon) you have the easier it is to mount and dismount a tire. Plenty of lubricant. A small bottle of dish washing soap cut with 2/3 water works best for me.
One last thing that I will mention having the right compound tire makes all the difference in the word. I found these tires called MOTOZ, and they are by far the easiest desert terrain tire I have ever mounted. I would compare them to mounting a SX race tire but just a little more on the stiff side.

Thanks! :thumb:

I am going to advocate to not use soap. Why? Soap dries and then reacts to water and becomes slippery again. This could (not will) cause a problem "if" you were to get another flat (same tire). The tire can (not will) slip on the rim because the soap has reacted with the water.

I will advocate for WD-40. Why? WD-40 dries and does not react to any water. Once it dries, it's done. Never have to think about it again. I find that a small bottle (bicycle chain lube size) with WD-40 in its place is easy to carry with your other lubes; Dot-4, Mineral Oil, 2T oil, etc.

The baby powder or talcum powder on a tube in a zip lock is a wonderful thing. In addition, the CO2 cartridges are fantastic with combo pump. I have the "Second Wind" that uses the 16oz cartridges.

Here is another tip. Take a inner tube (flat or new) from a bicycle (any size), cut a 5 inch section and shove 3 CO2 cartridges in it, holds them nice and tight. I have one in the pump but not punctured. This gives me a total of 4 cartridges. I also do this with a mini AAA batterie mag light and 4 AA batteries and 1 AAA batterie. The cut sections of inner tubes work great to hold it all together. The 4 AA are 2 for my Camera and 2 for my GPS, and the AAA is for the mag light of course, others may vary in their needs. You can also cut inner tubes in a 3/4 inch piece and use as a very strong rubber band to hold other things together as well.
Thats about it for now, until I think of other things.

P841 :wave:

I've never slipped a tire or ripped a valve stem as long as I have rim locks. I run two in the rear and one in the front.

I don't actually rub the bar of soap around the tire, I mix with water from camel pack as two smoke suggested. Most of the time once a tire has been mounted and ran for a couple hundred miles you don't need any lube in my experience.