Tire Advice Please

I was wondering if anyone has experience with riding a tire designed for hard terrain in sand. On paper they aren't supposed to do well but in reality how well will they function?

They will usually work, but just OK.

If you have a hard terrain tire on your bike I would still ride the sand, but I would not buy hard terrain tires if there is a lot of sand in my future.

Great thanks! I ride about 50% sand and dunes. The rest are mountain trails mixed with hard pack soils, rocks, gravels, roots, loose stuff and the like. I don't race. Thanks again.

James

Staff member
Great thanks! I ride about 50% sand and dunes. The rest are mountain trails mixed with hard pack soils, rocks, gravels, roots, loose stuff and the like. I don't race. Thanks again.

Have you considered getting a second rear wheel, have one with a sand and the other a hard tire?

I've thought about it but not seriously. I think you are entirely correct, though, on me getting a second wheel and tire. My terrain is too diverse for any one tire. (Unless you know different?) I wish I had serious money, I'd buy another bike--1 set up for each type. Hahahahaha. Oh what we go through for a good days ride!!!!!!!! Is it worth it? You bet!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to all.

James

Staff member
I've thought about it but not seriously. I think you are entirely correct, though, on me getting a second wheel and tire. My terrain is too diverse for any one tire. (Unless you know different?) I wish I had serious money, I'd buy another bike--1 set up for each type. Hahahahaha. Oh what we go through for a good days ride!!!!!!!! Is it worth it? You bet!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to all.

Like Dave said, these are as far apart as you can get, two wheels would be the cheapest option.

I live in a great, high desert location with all kinds of various terrain in SE Idaho. I live 35 miles from sands located to the west. My home is in a valley with mountains to the east and west. I literally could get on my bike and ride to the hills and trails if I wasn't afraid of getting a ticket by city cops.

James

Staff member
I live in a great, high desert location with all kinds of various terrain in SE Idaho. I live 35 miles from sands located to the west. My home is in a valley with mountains to the east and west. I literally could get on my bike and ride to the hills and trails if I wasn't afraid of getting a ticket by city cops.

Get a plated bike and you'll be good to go! :ride:

I have a 250r. It is plated but its a forest service plate. Idaho past a law last year that says if you cross a road or street that is not designated as a off road trail you are required to have a license plate. This includes logging roads. And I don't have a motorcycle endorsement on my driver's lic. Small towns today are hunting for money due to bad economy. I think they'd bust me for not being 100% legal.

Here's a youtube skit of the place I love to ride. Its not me in the vid, but you'll get the idea of the sandy terrain and why I love it where I live.
http://youtu.be/us1ceeHAxE8
I can not watch vids on my work computer, too fricken slow for some reason but I will look when I get home. However, just from the sound of where you live, I know I would like it. :prof: