Tight spokes

So I tightened up my spokes today because the wheel was a little wobbly I never knew it was such an easy job my friend payed a shop 75 bucks to do it so I thought it was had and my dad goes no that's a simple job lol

James

Staff member
So I tightened up my spokes today because the wheel was a little wobbly I never knew it was such an easy job my friend payed a shop 75 bucks to do it so I thought it was had and my dad goes no that's a simple job lol
:thumb: Yup it's not that hard, however you have to be careful that you don't get it "un-true" (not sure on the correct word :lol:).

Also be careful that you don't make them to tight and strip it out.

:thumb: Yup it's not that hard, however you have to be careful that you don't get it "un-true" (not sure on the correct word :lol:).

Also be careful that you don't make them to tight and strip it out.

Yea I know and by untrue do u mean how u have to tighten them just right so that the wheel doesn't seem bent

Not that Im an expert, but my first real job was working in a bicycle shop. I believe the correct wording your looking for is out of true. And tightening spokes isnt hard. Truing a wheel can be a bit of a challenge, and lacing up a wheel is even more of a challenge. However once you have laced up your own wheels correctly and gotten them trued up............... Very satisfying

Just grab a wrench and tighten it. It should be a 7mm

its actually a 6.(something) mm 6.6 i believe, i used a 7 a stripped the nipples square edges.. so thats a no go for me anymore. Also, I saw a guy at the bike shop do this, if the nipple seems like its seized it likely isn't, they actually use a special thread locker on the spokes upon assembly. just shoot a little penetrating oil on the spoke and let it run down into the threads, and that should let it spin with ease. :ride:

its actually a 6.(something) mm 6.6 i believe, i used a 7 a stripped the nipples square edges.. so thats a no go for me anymore. Also, I saw a guy at the bike shop do this, if the nipple seems like its seized it likely isn't, they actually use a special thread locker on the spokes upon assembly. just shoot a little penetrating oil on the spoke and let it run down into the threads, and that should let it spin with ease. :ride:

Ur spokes may be different than mine a 7mm was the size on mine