Ti or aluminum muffler

Went online, found some numbers, and did some math.

Titanium has a weight of 283.39 pounds per cubic foot.
Aluminum has a weight of 168.48 pounds per cubic foot.

Titanium is 40% heavier than Aluminum

Titanium has a strength to weight ratio of 288.
Aluminum has a strength to weight ratio of 214.
Titanium has a 25% better strength to weight ratio.

Titanium has about 3 times the strength of 6061 aluminum T6. The strength to weight ratio of titanium Is only 25% better than aluminum, because aluminum is 40% lighter.

Now I was going to look up the weight of the exhaust for you too, but I figured a little math never hurts.

So find the weight of your exhaust system in one of the materials and then apply the percentages I've listed. That will give you your weight difference.

The stock header on the YZ is titanium. If you are looking for more power and want to spend the extra money then cool. I ran the stock titanium header with a FMF 4.1 power core muffler on my 07 YZ450 and it had plenty of bark for the paces I put it through and I put it through some paces.

Totally thought you were talking about the header. My bad. I ran an aluminum muffler. The aluminum will last longer and is cheaper. Now I did run the titanium power core shorty on my YZ250 and I loved the bark it gave and looked way cool. :thumb:

Last edited:
The aluminum may be the way to go. I would hate to drag a ti muffler over some rocks.
Just wondering if I would be able to feel the extra weight of a aluminum muffler over a ti.

The aluminum may be the way to go. I would hate to drag a ti muffler over some rocks.
Just wondering if I would be able to feel the extra weight of a aluminum muffler over a ti.

OK the aluminum version is 5.2 pounds because it had a stainless steel midpipe.

The titanium is 4.4 pounds because of a total titanium construction.

In my opinion .8 pounds is not worth the extra $$$. The aluminum pipe I was comparing had a carbon fiber end cap too, I thought that was pretty cool. The titanium pipe had a titanium endcap and it was bland.

Mine was aluminum with a TI end cap. You will not feel the weight difference.

Oh and I just realize its Lugnut!!! How the heck are you? Done playing with the house boat and going to start riding again?

Mine was aluminum with a TI end cap. You will not feel the weight difference.

Oh and I just realize its Lugnut!!! How the heck are you? Done playing with the house boat and going to start riding again?
Houseboat rebuild is pretty much done. No water in lake it's down to 11%
I bought my boys wrecked 09 so I can get back to riding :) it needs a make over so hopefully in next couple months I can get it back into shape.