All THIS IS BIG if you care about the CA Green Sticker Program

THIS IS BIG if you care about the CA Green Sticker Program

What ever side you are on this is information you should know.

If you CARE about the States OHV Program GET INVOLVED THIS TIME !

================================

Quoted from an email by Ed Waldheim July 27 2016

Good evening everyone. We have another opportunity to have our word heard by Lisa Mangat, California State Parks Director. It is imperative that we fill that hall in Ontario, We should have over 500 coming if everyone gets the word out . This is probably the most important meeting you can attend to save our OHV program. since we started in 1972, and created the OHMVR division and commission in 1982. Our sunset (end of program is DEC 2017,) and that is why we have to make sure we keep our program,. Our grants and cooperative Agreement program, is what every one of us depends on for our recreation in Forest, BLM, city and counties. We need all Forest, BLM, City and county officials Law enforcement to come. Without your support and comment, Sacramento will do (you fill in the blanks)

Please just send this notice to all your mailings, all your web sites, and lets give them a taste of 1.5 million Green Sticker we have in California and add to that all the St. Legal vehicles 4 x 4, Rails etc.

Thanks see you there.

ED WALDHEiM

================================

NOTICE OF OPEN HOUSE
California Department of Parks and Recreation
July 27, 2016

The California Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) serves the public by bringing families and friends together and providing an wide array of recreational opportunities for the benefit and enjoyment of all people while protecting and preserving California’s most significant natural and cultural resources. DPR accomplishes this not only through delivering services to 280 parks across the state, but also through programs that support local, regional and national recreation activities.

The Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division (OHMVR) is a vital program that is recognized across the country as the leader in off-highway vehicle recreation. While DPR operates nine state vehicular recreation areas, the vast majority of recreation occurs on other lands supported through this robust division.

On June 3, 2016, DPR Director Lisa Mangat provided an update to the California Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Commission and members of the public on the department’s Organizational Structure Opportunities Project (Project). At that meeting, Director Mangat stated that there would be additional opportunities for public engagement in this process.

The public is invited attend an open house to learn about the effort to review DPR’s organization structure. Through the Project the department seeks to identify opportunities to elevate and strengthen all of its programs, including OHMVR and the services it provides. (Information on the Project can be found online at www.parks.ca.gov/ShapingOurFuture.)

The open house will provide a forum for the public to learn about the Organizational Structure Opportunities Project and for DPR to hear from the stakeholders. The members of the California Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Commission have been invited to attend; the commission will not be taking any action on any matters at this open house.

Open House – City of Ontario
Date: Thursday, Aug. 11, 2016
Time: 6 to 9 p.m.
222 N. Vineyard Avenue, Ontario, CA 91764-4431
(909) 937-0900

Meeting facilities are accessible to people with disabilities. If you need specific accommodations, please contact Vicki Perez at (916) 324-4442.

Yep Jeff,
I got the email, and read it in CORVA rag, I think...
This state is so screwed up! If the guys that live, stay and care don't get involved, will be nothing left but a corral to ride in. Might not even stay in AZ when I retire. Still contemplating a solid location.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Jeff, Tell us what to expect at this meeting.
What do you think we'll hear about?
Will there be an open forum?

Very interested in making it out to this meeting. The minimal OHV areas we currently have are lacking the money they need. When money IS put into the system, the local fencing companies get a healthy revenue boost. :picard:
-BIG DAN:thumb:

A message from Chris Horgan of SOS - STEWARDS OF THE SEQUOIAS

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/421135/ff3354ee4f/1469671791/146339c90c/

Your Off Highway Motor Vehicle Green Sticker fund is in jeopardy.
The tens of millions of dollars you along with every other Off Roader pay in OHV registration fees and gas taxes each year are at risk of being stolen. Most National Forest and BLM OHV trail systems rely on your Off Highway fund grants to maintain OHV trails and prevent trails from being closed.
THE SITUATION

California State Parks is proposing to merge your Off Highway Motor Vehicle Division (OHMVR) into State Parks. They claim the merge would serve visitors better and better support the OHMVR program.
Assurances must be made in writing to guarantee the Off Highway program is enhanced, not harmed by a merge.

It is the opinion of many that California State Parks simply wants your OHV money.
This past January the new Director of State Parks took $31 million from your OHV Fund. This is on top of the more than $181 million that was previously "borrowed" from your OHMVR fund by the State to pay for non OHV programs. None of this money has ever been paid back.

Unleash your Power as an Off Roader...... Now is the time for you to be heard!!

THREE EASY THINGS YOU CAN DO TO SAVE YOUR OFF HIGHWAY GRANT PROGRAM
1) All Off Roaders need to take a minute and call your State Legislators and politely tell them-
  • The Off Highway Motor Vehicle Division is the "Shining Star at State Parks", providing hundreds of millions for OHV Trails.
  • Given the past history of State Parks stealing millions from your Off Highway Motor Vehicle, you are extremely skeptical of State Parks merger proposal to supposedly help the Off Highway Motor Vehicle Division now.
  • You are glad State Parks wants to "serve visitors better and better support the OHMVR program".
    However we need conditions and protections in writing from State Parks that will enhance the OHMVR program such as:

1. Off Highway Motor Vehicle funding cannot be stolen or borrowed in future
  2. Keep OHMVR grant program separate
  3. Dedicated Funding Stream and permanent authorization
  4. More money dedicated to on-the-ground maintenance and management
  5. Better partnerships with federal agencies to expand OHV opportunities
  6. Enhance the World Class OHV Program, not hurt it
  7. More OHV opportunities
  8. Urban OHV Parks
  9. Motorized access to camping areas in non motorized state parks

• Failing that legislators need to reauthorize or permanently authorize the Off Highway Motor Vehicle Division.
  • Legislators need to support AB2175 Jones (2016) to stop the theft of OHV Funds.
  • With a tremendous record of enhancing recreation and the environment, the Off Road program merits just as much opportunity and just as much respect as other programs.

CLICK HERE TO FIND YOUR LEGISLATORS PHONE NUMBER....CALL NOW
Legislators need to hear from you. Many do not know anything about the benefits of the OHMVR program. Your calls will make a huge difference to their helping to support and enhance your OHMVR program. This is how politics works. Unleash the power of Off Roaders by speaking up now . It really does work.. Please call now.

2) Attend the State Parks meeting this Thursday August 11 to voice your concerns that the State must provide conditions and protections in writing to enhance the OHMVR program (per above numbered points).
It would be unacceptable for the State harm the stellar OHMVR program in any way.

WHEN- Thursday August 11, 2016 6-9pm
WHERE- Double Tree Hotel by Hilton Ontario Airport 222 N. Vineyard Avenue, Ontario, CA 91764-4431
(909) 937-0900

3) Send a preformatted letter objecting to the merging of the OHMVR into State Parks. CLICK HERE

MORE INFORMATION
  • Very informative FAQ Sheet courtesy of SaveCaliforniaOHV.org CLICK HERE
  • Very informative FACT Sheet about the history of SVRA's courtesy of SaveCaliforniaOHV.org CLICK HERE
  • State Parks website offering a vague and incomplete justification for their proposed merger CLICK HERE
  • Radio Talk Show with Assemblyman Jones (San Diego) about efforts to stop theft of OHV Funds CLICK HERE
Many thanks to the AMA, CORVA and other organizations for all their efforts to Save your Off Highway Motor Vehicle Division.
Engaged Off Roaders Keep Trails Open

Chris Horgan
Executive Director
Stewards of the Sequoia
Division of CTUC 501c3

AMA-2014Cover-200s.jpg

Last edited:
I was no longer living in calif when it was discovered money was being diverted from that account to pay for things that non vehicular users "needed more than vehicular". Maybe if you google Herbert Rhodes state of calif you can find some history. One armed bandit that he was/is.

Posted on KTMTalk by user PJK

“The message from the first meeting seems to have carried over to this one (Aug 11). The public was reassured that State Parks has no plans to let the entire OHV program sunset. A lot of the public comment revolved around the trust that has been built between volunteer groups and the OHV Division and the fear that if the divisions were absorbed into the greater park program that those relationships, and that trust, would be lost. The meeting left us with the impression that we ARE being heard by State Parks, and we are optimistic about future decisions. Thank you again to everyone who spoke so passionately and respectfully about the importance of OHV not just to yourselves and your families but to our communities at large.”

I'm not holding my breath. I’ve heard and seen all this before... As mentioned above go to http://www.savecaliforniaohv.org/index.php for more information.

Last edited:
Posted on Cafehusky by Huskynoobee
REPORT: This event was well attended. Good mix of different off road folks. The commission knows how we feel about theft of the OHV money and Sacramento in general. There were lots of public speakers, including little ol me, and even two deputies from Kern County Sheriff that echoed the shared sentiment that the state parks should find other ways to streamline their operations and keep the OHV division intact.

I think one of the best comments was made by the last speaker who mentioned that OHV users are the only recreational group that has to attend meetings to uphold their right to access. That was spot on!

I was no longer living in calif when it was discovered money was being diverted from that account to pay for things that non vehicular users "needed more than vehicular". Maybe if you google Herbert Rhodes state of calif you can find some history. One armed bandit that he was/is.
I did this search and found nothing with this name. What is the story behind this?

regarding fences....Ive known Ed Waldheim since the 70s. He is a good guy.....BUT he is the one who puts fences up to try and appease the powers that be, just FYI. I don't agree with this style of working with the govt.

Posted on KTMTalk by dirtywheels

San Diego is having this meeting on Thursday August 24th at City Hall. The Department of Boating and Waterways was asked to attend. It is a public meeting. Us locals are going to be there in numbers to voice our opinion and oppose this merger. We will have the AMA District 38 President among us as well as San Diego Offroad Coalition and Fight for Ocotillo Wells activists as well. Myself included!

I did this search and found nothing with this name. What is the story behind this?

Rhodes was in on the original robbing of the fund more than 35 years ago. Cycle News did an article on him and there were other articles from the recipient groups that praised and thanked him. Being a disabled black man seemed to keep him off limits with some of the "crowd". Anyway, precedence seemed set at that point that using Green Sticker funds to keep orv users off public land was a good way to spend part of what was collected as well as giving to other groups.

Try CycleNews archives for the Dec 14, 1976 edition. I can't make it show up, but I am not a subscriber anymore it seems.

Last edited: