Thinking of getting a Ford Expedition for towing

OK I'll admit it. It was freaking cold over T-Day. I've been thinking and yes that's a dangerous thing...

My wife's 94 XJ6 is just about dead so it's time to think of a replacement. She also needs more cargo carrying capacity, because she does a lot of craft fairs and the Jag just is not big enough, so some kind of SUV or minivan will be needed. Well I have a friend who wants out of his 2001 Expedition that has 120k miles on it. I can get it for $1500 to $2k under blue book and it appears to be in decent shape.

Yes it is a gas hog and I plan on a third gas saving car like a Honda Civic or some other 35 mpg-ish vehicle.

Now here is what I'm thinking. Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone as they say. My current F150 is only rated at a wimpy 3300 pounds although I have towed 5000. The Expedition has a tow rating of 8100 pounds so it should be able to tow a smallish two axle 7500 pound max weight Toy Hauler, right?

So what do you think of my plan?

I am guessing the 5.4 engine? I rented an Expedition for a 2 week vacation a few years ago and really liked it.
Not to familliar with known problems on the Triton engines other than the spark plug /aluminum head issue. Can be costly to repair if one of the plugs shoot out, and have heard that due to carbon build up in the cylinders, it happens more past the 100,000 mile mark. Champion spark plugs has come out with a one piece plug, good replacement for the 2 piece plug that has been known to snap during removal.
$1500 is a nice price for any used vehicle.

I wish it were $1500. More like $4500, but it blue books for a bit over $6k.

I'm well aware of those interesting plugs. Pretty much a true nightmare from what I've been told.

OK I'll admit it. It was freaking cold over T-Day. I've been thinking and yes that's a dangerous thing...

My wife's 94 XJ6 is just about dead so it's time to think of a replacement. She also needs more cargo carrying capacity, because she does a lot of craft fairs and the Jag just is not big enough, so some kind of SUV or minivan will be needed. Well I have a friend who wants out of his 2001 Expedition that has 120k miles on it. I can get it for $1500 to $2k under blue book and it appears to be in decent shape.

Yes it is a gas hog and I plan on a third gas saving car like a Honda Civic or some other 35 mpg-ish vehicle.

Now here is what I'm thinking. Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone as they say. My current F150 is only rated at a wimpy 3300 pounds although I have towed 5000. The Expedition has a tow rating of 8100 pounds so it should be able to tow a smallish two axle 7500 pound max weight Toy Hauler, right?

So what do you think of my plan?

While I was in the car biz (worst move of my life...but that's a different story)...I've seen and heard of people driving the piss out of those...Ask your friend for the history of it...breakdowns (if any), maitanance records (if any)...drive it and really pick it apart then see if those "picks" would be a concern.

I drive one for the County, it's a 2008 and 4X4 though. I have 18000 miles only but it did eat the first set of tires fast. needed brakes too. Other than that its a nice truck. No other issues thus far. My other County Truck was an 2004 F150 4X4 and the syncs for the electronic 4X4 system and tranny have gone to shit at 125,000 miles. We still have the truck, my partner drives it. Being its a County Truck I have no idea how much that fix cost, but it still runs great. We are supposed to surplus our vehicles after 100,000 miles and I was going to bid on this one but they kept it. So say check it out and go for it if its in good, record kept, mechanical condition.

I had a 01 F150 with the Triton, and lost the tranny at 150k, and something in the motor (maybe a cam chain idler pully?) at 185k. As far as towing, it was very good as far as load, cooling, and brakes. I'm thinking that the Expedition is basically the same chassis, so just keep it serviced, and cross you fingers. :busted:

Ive got an 4x4 with 5.4 with 115K. It is very comfortable to drive, gets 16-18 mpg, will tow a small trailer with no trouble. Has needed new front calipers, had a fuel pump go ut which was $500 to fix due to the part being $400 or so. Now has an oil leak from the rear of the right head. Motor needs to be pulled to do the head gasket. Other than that it has been great. Still runs great. I also get the trans serviced properly at 30-50K, done two times now and due again. Now to the large trailer you are talking about, by the time you load it up with bikes, gear, water, fire wood, it will be a major load to pull over the mountains to get somewhere. I wouldnt do it with mine.

We had a brand new 98 Ford Expedition with the 5.4 and we loved it. We sold it however once we got our newer toybox(only a 18ft Gearbox) because it could not tow it and upgraded to an Excursion(I wanted the diesel but my parents wanted the EB edition and they only had V10's). We had the Expedition though for 7 years and sold it with 160,000 to a family member who is still enjoying it to this day. We never had any problems with it until a few months before we sold it and it had to do with the turning. At full lock the brakes seemed to not work and it was a dangerous situation such as turning into parking spots etc. But the motor was excellent, had great turning radius, and was a great car.