WV thinking about racing. Need your help

first off, sorry if i posted this in the wrong section. i spent like 5 min trying to figure out which section to post it in.

The only race i have raced in was back in Aug. at Breezewood in PA. it was only a 3 lap race. i raced in supermini and got like 3rd from last place. but i have gotten better since then. right now i am 15 years old and ride a crf250r. in about a month, Tomahawk motocross is going to have a Loretta Lynne qualifyer race. im thinking about racing in it but i have afew questions first. sorry some of them you might not know

1. what class should i race in? i was thinking the 250 C stock class
2. are there any 2 strokes in that class? or is it all 250f's? and if there are 2 strokes, are they 125's or 250's?
3. how many laps is the race?
4. how many motos?
5. Do people do the 90 footer jump in that class? cus i cant do it all the way
6. is the track gonna be really rough like it is on a practice day? or will they keep it groomed?
Thanks. any help will be greatly appreciated

Alright dude, I'll be straight out, you will get the floor wiped with you in LLQs, not a good place to start at all! It's a really really bad idea, find a regular AMA race or something not concerning nationals. When so, 250C is easier, but there is alot of sandbaggers and it gets dangerous with the overload of bikes. Schoolboy is the other option, schoolboy is faster but less bikes, witch is probably the best rout to take with all in consideration for you. In 250C there are 125, 250, 250F. In schoolboy, it's 85-250F. As far as motos go, I race CRA, which changes things up. There is either 2 motos, or 1 heat, 1 main with a possible LCQ option. I would say there will be selected guys hitting that jump, for the most part in both classes, but I wouldn't let that hold you back. Expecially schoolboy. Last, the track will be groomed to perfection on race nights, they put alot of work into the track and groom it about 3 times-ish

i too race with ray in the cra circuit. I have to go with ray and tell you NOT to do the llq, those are really competitive. Also, i race 250c, thats were i started and i only have 2 races under the belt from last year. I would personally start in that class, because they are alot less intimidating that schoolboy. At our races only 1/2 the guys clear everything in c. Its mostly dominated by 250f's and under our rules you can ride 250 2 strokes too, out of the 2 races i've done im the only one on a 125 :smirk:. They do groom the track well on race days. You should go for it, i come in 2-5 from last everytime and still love it! :smirk:

i too race with ray in the cra circuit. I have to go with ray and tell you NOT to do the llq, those are really competitive. Also, i race 250c, thats were i started and i only have 2 races under the belt from last year. I would personally start in that class, because they are alot less intimidating that schoolboy. At our races only 1/2 the guys clear everything in c. Its mostly dominated by 250f's and under our rules you can ride 250 2 strokes too, out of the 2 races i've done im the only one on a 125 :smirk:. They do groom the track well on race days. You should go for it, i come in 2-5 from last everytime and still love it! :smirk:
Not to mention the AMA BUTTRAPES you on the cost of that stuff! :shocked:

Huh?
Here its $39 for ama membership and 5-10 for the district card.... practice or race class is about $35 on average and I am almost positive we are expensive over here as I here of folks in the midwest complaining about $10 practice days :shocked:

James

Staff member
first off, sorry if i posted this in the wrong section. i spent like 5 min trying to figure out which section to post it in.
This is the correct section :thumb:

....Tomahawk motocross is going to have a Loretta Lynne qualifyer race. im thinking about racing in it......1. what class should i race in? i was thinking the 250 C stock class
Like others said, don't do this as your first race, it's VERY competitive. And yes 250C is a good class.
2. are there any 2 strokes in that class? or is it all 250f's? and if there are 2 strokes, are they 125's or 250's?
AMA rules allow 125 and 250 2 strokes to race against 250f's, equal displacement rule.
3. how many laps is the race?
4. how many motos?
C class typically has 3 laps and 2 motos, but it depends on the track/sanctioning body.
5. Do people do the 90 footer jump in that class? cus i cant do it all the way
C class is typically not allowed to triple. I'd focus more on your corner speed as you'll pickup (or loose) more time there.
6. is the track gonna be really rough like it is on a practice day? or will they keep it groomed?
Depends on the track, most do groom/water it on a regular basis. Especially before the 2nd motos start.

Most importantly just go have fun. :ride:

James

Staff member
Huh?
Here its $39 for ama membership and 5-10 for the district card.... practice or race class is about $35 on average and I am almost positive we are expensive over here as I here of folks in the midwest complaining about $10 practice days
Here it's $39 for the yearly AMA membership (going up to $45 though), $15 for yearly GLMX (district) membership, and practice days are ~$35.

Thanks alot for the tips guys. i belive that that track has 2 sperate racing series that go on, so i think i might race in that. that would be less competitve, right? once again thanks for the help

James

Staff member
Thanks alot for the tips guys. i belive that that track has 2 sperate racing series that go on, so i think i might race in that. that would be less competitve, right? once again thanks for the help
LLQ isn't every weekend. I'd start with one of the "regular" races.

Huh?
Here its $39 for ama membership and 5-10 for the district card.... practice or race class is about $35 on average and I am almost positive we are expensive over here as I here of folks in the midwest complaining about $10 practice days :shocked:
Mike, LLQs over here are around 140$ for like one class, reg AMA isn't bad