The Official GPS Unit Best For DirtBike's Thread

So in this thread we will share our opinions on the best Unit for riding a dirtbike and our experiences with our GPS units while out on the trail. i will start with what i have been reading already.......

i dont actually own any of these and why im curious as to what some of you use or have heard/read about.

first one ive been looking at is the Garmin 60csx. its mid price range and has enough options to get the job done. Also this one seems to be pretty popular.

another is the Trail Tech voyager gps unit that has all the bells and whistles. its high price range. it lacks in function from what i hear tho.

the last one i looked at is expensive as hell but sounds really nice. the Delorme Earthmate Pn-60w with spot. its in the very high price range but from what ive read it has all the functionality and really accurate reception.

the other thing is mounting options. it does suck to have to stop and get your gps out of your bag all the time so handlebar mounts are pretty important to me. out of the 3 i seen the best mounting option is the vapor by far. Atleast that i have seen.

Good thread! I'm always shaky about leaving my cabin solo and just giving peeps a general idea of where I will go. If I get Fubared, I'm Fubared for a long time! So I always take it really easy and safe, and that kinda sucks. I would like something with the SPOT that I can signal with in the event of an emergency. Something that has communications because there is no cell service in the way back. How much is the high end unit with SPOT?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8523 I've got two of those puppies. There's like 23654457 different things you can do. :thinking: You can set a "camp" place, or call it whatever you want, and it'll track where you go and tell you how to get back. Obviously, you can download more maps to it, geocahing spots, etc. It's got mini games on it, which seems pretty irrelevant but they can be fun. The GPS guides you to certain places for certain games... Get bored and play with your GPS. :smirk: If you've got buddies with em, you can send them texts, it'll tell you exactly where they are, where they've been, and the way they're headed and etc. Has a "Night Mode" or whatever it's called. After a certain time depending on the month it is/day. I don't know if you hunt, the unit even tells you the prefect time to go out everyday, sunrise, animal movements, etc. These are just small things with the unit but it's great.
But since that one's $500...:shocked: I'm still thinking http://www.cabelas.com/product/Garm...=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&Ntt=garmin+rino is a good little unit. Range of 5 miles, tells you where your buddies are within 2 miles, waterproof... Somewhat like the 530hcx but quite a bit dimmed down. (Half the price, too) Same price as the 60csx, but has radio and whatnot.

I was in the market for a new one and was leaning on the one you posted from REI (DeLorme w/Spot). That is a good price you found. My biggest problem is I am a Mac guy and they are not supported unless you use Windows. So, I will keep my Magellan Sportrax Pro that I have had for a few years. All I really do is track myself in areas I don't know so I can make it back to staging. If I was an adventurer and road alone I would definitely get the one with a spot or add spot to my list of tools. My Magellan is an old one but as long as it works, I am good to go.

I was in the market for a new one and was leaning on the one you posted from REI (DeLorme w/Spot). That is a good price you found. My biggest problem is I am a Mac guy and they are not supported unless you use Windows. So, I will keep my Magellan Sportrax Pro that I have had for a few years. All I really do is track myself in areas I don't know so I can make it back to staging. If I was an adventurer and road alone I would definitely get the one with a spot or add spot to my list of tools. My Magellan is an old one but as long as it works, I am good to go.

yea someone gave it a horrible review on the site because of the mac thing. kinda lame and im suprised there is no support for macs. I know it would be a pain in the ass but im pretty sure there is ways to get a mac to run windows programs. maybe i just save up and get this one someday. Did you look into mounting options for this at all Palmer ?

yea someone gave it a horrible review on the site because of the mac thing. kinda lame and im suprised there is no support for macs. I know it would be a pain in the ass but im pretty sure there is ways to get a mac to run windows programs. maybe i just save up and get this one someday. Did you look into mounting options for this at all Palmer ?

This is what I have.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magellan-SporTr...=GPS_Devices&hash=item20ba4a4cc7#ht_500wt_922

Yes, you can run windows on a Mac 89.00 bucks from the App store, and you can run it parallel so you don't get the viruses that come along with it. as far as mounting options there is an available ram mount for handle bars.
https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=27048&section=10043

This is what I have.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magellan-SporTr...=GPS_Devices&hash=item20ba4a4cc7#ht_500wt_922

Yes, you can run windows on a Mac 89.00 bucks from the App store, and you can run it parallel so you don't get the viruses that come along with it. as far as mounting options there is an available ram mount for handle bars.
https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=27048&section=10043

i bid on that. would be nice to win. :lol:

btw how has your RAM mount held up in get offs?

i bid on that. would be nice to win. :lol:

btw how has your RAM mount held up in get offs?

I actually ran the bicycle one for years. It finally couldn't take any more abuse and was held together with zip ties. :smirk: I purchased the ATV ram mount and a new Bicycle one for about 20 bucks shipped. I have not mounted either because I am not riding places I do not know. When winter rolls around and the dez is cool, it will be put to the test. The ram sticks up high and may just get busted on its maiden voyage. :lol: :lol: :devil: