The most beneficial mods

In a world of $700 exhaust systems, $50 air filters, golden hubs, and custom graphics, it is often hard to decide what order to modify your bike as you accumulate extra funds for the bike. The point of this thread is for the experienced members of DBA to chime in on those crucial mods.

I know many of you will say proper suspension setup, rekluse, bars/grips/levers combos, pipe guards, skid plates, hand guards etc. please state the mod, and explain exactly why it's so important to you.

My #1 thing for feeling comfortable on a bike is a good pair of tires (front more important) with the proper air pressure for the conditions. I like have the confidence that they will hook up, not wash out, and perform to my standards. I could have all the power in the world, and have no way to get it to the ground, or corner with it without the proper tire setup.

Interesting question. In this order for me: smog mods, skid plate/rad guards/barkbusters (this all done at the time bike is purchased), then steering stabilizer, suspension mods, then exhaust. The order is most important. I think you need to protect your bike first and foremost, followed by handling, then fun stuff last.

Interesting question. In this order for me: smog mods, skid plate/rad guards/barkbusters (this all done at the time bike is purchased), then steering stabilizer, suspension mods, then exhaust. The order is most important. I think you need to protect your bike first and foremost, followed by handling, then fun stuff last.
I also agree on the smog mods. My xrr was severely corked up from the factory, and was very underpowered before I opened it up.

It depends on what you ride

but in general
#1: Suspension- this is hands down the best money I've ever spent on a dirt bike, it was worth every penny of the 660 dollars I spent on it. The bike is so much easier to ride, it handles sandwhoops with ease, it bites better when turning, and the rear wheel skips around a lot less (better traction) as a result I don't fatigue nearly as bad.

#2: Jetting: It needs to be done to get the most bang you can out of the bike

#3: Sikk Graphics- they will get you laid

#4: At least for me, a set of Michelin S12XC's, I also like a slightly wider tire on the rear.

#5: Handguards: I use just MX Handshields, keeps your hands protected from the brush and roost will still letting the controls feel clear and un-cluttered.

#6: Bike Armor: skid plate (i prefer a light weight plastic one) and radiator braces

#7: Stabilizer-if you ride desert

#8: some 91 octane fuel: There is no replacement for seat time

#9: Hour meter- do the maintenance by the book, and know when its time to rebuild to avoid even more expensive repairs

It depends on what you ride

but in general
#1: Suspension- this is hands down the best money I've ever spent on a dirt bike, it was worth every penny of the 660 dollars I spent on it. The bike is so much easier to ride, it handles sandwhoops with ease, it bites better when turning, and the rear wheel skips around a lot less (better traction) as a result I don't fatigue nearly as bad.

#2: Jetting: It needs to be done to get the most bang you can out of the bike

#3: Sikk Graphics- they will get you laid
Good stuff. I am just afraid of smacking a rock and putting a hole in my case or radiator, both of which I have done.

I feel getting your suspension set correctly is best. On my last ride all I did was speed my compression up 3 clicks on my shock mid ride and it made a massive difference, I was moving easily 5mph faster on average through the same single track. That isn't even a set up uniquely for me, that is on stock suspension. It made me feel so much more confident on the bike. Tires too for the reasons you stated.

I feel getting your suspension set correctly is best. On my last ride all I did was speed my compression up 3 clicks on my shock mid ride and it made a massive difference, I was moving easily 5mph faster on average through the same single track. That isn't even a set up uniquely for me, that is on stock suspension. It made me feel so much more confident on the bike. Tires too for the reasons you stated.
I only ride 5mph, hahaha!

I only ride 5mph, hahaha!
I couldn't tell you honestly how fast we were going, but normally i'm falling behind, on a 2-3 mile stretch of trail i'll be 30 or so seconds back and the end, and I was keeping up the whole time, even leading the group for part of the time. So, suspension is definitely first.

I couldn't tell you honestly how fast we were going, but normally i'm falling behind, on a 2-3 mile stretch of trail all be 30 or so seconds back and the end, and I was keeping up the whole time, even leading the group for part of the time. So, suspension is definitely first.
Yep.... or.... just maybe you are also improving.... :devil:

Suspension is the number one most important thing you can do. BUT it is only as good as you can test it. Going out and doing 10-15 minute sprints on your bike then coming back to make adjustments is crucial. Once you get the bike dialed your riding experience is taken to a whole new level.

A lot of people don't see the need because they "can ride it" with the stock suspension. Well yes you can but it is so much easier to ride when you take the time to test and tune. You will notice you can ride faster and longer then you could before.

ANOTHER huge improvement is a steering stabilizer. but the same goes with this. You have to test and tune this as well. it doesn't come set up for YOU out of the box.

Bottom line is once you get the bike tuned to the way you like to ride. It makes a huge difference.

As far as the hop-up parts. Find somebody that can ride the bike to its absolute limits. Then start adding parts. I don't think any "weekend" rider can ride a bike to its potential stock. So other than the "cool" factor I think the hop-up parts are a waste of money.

I know this is probably not good for my business. but just being honest.

Suspension is the number one most important thing you can do. BUT it is only as good as you can test it. Going out and doing 10-15 minute sprints on your bike then coming back to make adjustments is crucial. Once you get the bike dialed your riding experience is taken to a whole new level.

A lot of people don't see the need because they "can ride it" with the stock suspension. Well yes you can but it is so much easier to ride when you take the time to test and tune. You will notice you can ride faster and longer then you could before.

ANOTHER huge improvement is a steering stabilizer. but the same goes with this. You have to test and tune this as well. it doesn't come set up for YOU out of the box.

Bottom line is once you get the bike tuned to the way you like to ride. It makes a huge difference.

As far as the hop-up parts. Find somebody that can ride the bike to its absolute limits. Then start adding parts. I don't think any "weekend" rider can ride a bike to its potential stock. So other than the "cool" factor I think the hop-up parts are a waste of money.

I know this is probably not good for my business. but just being honest.

when I buy hop up parts for my bike (I have a stage 3 cam and a Powercore IV slip on) its because the old part has failed, so might as well :)