The kid wants a supermoto...

Looking for guidance and advice here.
The boy wants a supermoto when he gets his license in a couple years. He thinks they're cool, and since I do too, I figured I would start doing some research, and of course I start here.
I have time to figure out my options, and start looking for a bike and/or parts.

What I've come to realize in the last couple weeks is;
- premix isn't practical
- dirtbike rims have rim-locks and tubes that could(?) throw off the tire balance at highway speeds
- different rims and tires probably require different brake hardware.
- a keyed electric start is desirable to deter theft.
What else am I not thinking of?

In 2 years he will have approx 5-6 years dirtbike/MX riding experience, and of course zero street experience.

I want a good learner bike, not a rocket, but something that will keep him happy and safe-ish for a year or two, where he can learn the basics, before he buys an R1. And since I like Yamaha's I was thinking of a WR250.

At this time I have ZERO knowledge of the do's and dont's of supermoto, and was hoping to get some solid recommendations here.

Last edited:
mI4uHra.jpg

My son started at 15 on an XR250L. Under 250cc allows at 15 to streetride. I did at 14 where I lived as a kid and it was awesome, so I thought it would be cool for him to do the same. He did the whole Sunday parking lot thing, used the white lines and practiced stopping distances. Just like the test, take it up to 30mph and stop in the box. He did well. Of course, (not trying to deter but) after he got his lic he cut through an empty field, then hit the street with muddy tires slid out on the asphalt and tore acl and imbedded mirror fragments in his hand! That’s my boy! ..he was ok considering, but I thought I may be killed(wife)
As soon as he hit 16 the restriction ended and he was all over the XR650, and the 250 got cobwebbed and sold. the occasional sprint on the Z1OOO to open those eyes up a bit.
XR gets the job done with minimal buy in, and he won’t be satisfied with the small bore for long, so expect to flip.
Motards are fun as FK and you pretty much got the bases covered. Wheels, brake caliper bracket. Don’t worry too much about the balance and if it’s a problem use sticky weights and the spin-stop-mark method works surprisingly well.

Street is where motorcycle get hit by cagers. RIP it's not what I would do for ANY of my kids (and they begged). You want one, get one when you live on your own, with your own money.

If you ride on the street there are close calls, and dead on hits.

That being first:

DO NOT TURN A MX BIKE INTO A SUPERMOTO. Get a supermoto set up bike from the factory.

WHY: Because the suspension height, and stiffness is already set from the factory.

I had a 2008 SM610 and road it to work for years that the boys begged to ride. Never let them, and sold it. I connect trails on tarmac, not ride it exclusive.

Most MC crashes are us hitting them from pulling out in front. Always best to cautiously enter 4 ways, and even then ive had to nose wheelie more than once, and not on purpose. Tend to stick to joyriding and not commute. Commuters are in a crazy ass hurry and don't give a shit. Still its not "safe" I have to agree with you there, but we get one life and I live mine on two wheels.
BUT when my body gives up and I can't ride anymore I'll trade my bikes for one of these :)

Lounge-Chair-ambiente.jpg

I commuted and joy, and was NEVER in a hurry on commuting. It is 80% the cagers fault, and I have seen my share of accidents involving motor bike only when I was working for the County and did TC for the CHP, and Sheriffs department for scene investigation.
Not pretty, to be there to clean up the road!

I have one life, 70-80% through it all ready, maybe even closer, but I will stick to dirt w/little tarmac in between.

We don't know what the future holds, but we know who holds the future.

I also did the motorcycle safety classes way back to get my M1 endorsment and that helped heaps of being an "alert" biker.

Country roads are different, city roads will kill you.

I had my Sumo for about 6+ years, and loved it, but I was in my 40's.

The reality is, the boy is gonna end up in a street bike, probably a crotch-rocket of some sort. I want him to be as prepared as possible for that day.

We live in a sleepy little farm town. Rural. So I dont mind him learning and making all the rookie mistakes here first. I am considering an enduro first, but I did promise him a supermoto.

And we'll be doing lots of parking lot training with cones and shit first.

He's a smart kid and learns quick so I'm not gonna get my panties in a bunch until he comes home with an R1. Then we'll reassess.

My .02. Any DS will do. 250 is ideal for a starter. My 12’ DR650 hauls the mail with my 230# ass on it. It’s tubes and rimlocks. It will hit 100mph but gets squirrelly after 85mph and I stay away from highways too as the pull from trucks has tendency to suck you under.
If your kid isn’t a top notch rider with exceptional dirt skills I wouldn’t put him on a street bike though. Not this day and age.

That's why I don't have my licence! Dirt only or not at all! Just one wrong decision and it's all over! Problem you have is the kid wants to do it, are you prepared to fall out with him to stop it happening or are you going to buy him the bike???

Just got back from CA. We had a talk about street bikes after a drunk lady in an SUV ran me off the I-10 about 60 miles west of Phoenix on the way back. She was right next to me in the left lane and literally just came right over into my lane. I had both tires onto the shoulder. Didn't look, didn't see me, and didn't hear my horn either. That shook him up a bit.

The reality is, the boy is gonna end up in a street bike, probably a crotch-rocket of some sort. I want him to be as prepared as possible for that day.

We live in a sleepy little farm town. Rural. So I dont mind him learning and making all the rookie mistakes here first. I am considering an enduro first, but I did promise him a supermoto.

And we'll be doing lots of parking lot training with cones and shit first.

He's a smart kid and learns quick so I'm not gonna get my panties in a bunch until he comes home with an R1. Then we'll reassess.
That stuff is meant to teach swerving and stopping skills. His dirt riding background should have that ingrained in him. The biggest things to learn for the street are the mental aspects like continually scanning traffic and putting yourself in the safest position. One thing I see all the time is riders at stop signs/lights who stop too close to the car in front. Cars rear ending bikes is a common thing at stops, yet these dumbasses leave themselves no escape and they're probably not watching their mirrors anyway.:picard:
I'm sure there are tons of videos about safe street riding practices to watch and start planting the ideas in his head.

The biggest things to learn for the street are the mental aspects like continually scanning traffic and putting yourself in the safest position.
Yep, good point @Rolls. These are the things that we talk about all the time.
Blind spots, looking through, underneath, or at shadows for the car in front of the car in front of you, and watching it. Not trusting turn signals. Not looking at pretty girls, using the cell phone, or losing focus on the road and driving safely. Every time were in a car I'm teaching him these things. And it all transfers to a bike.

I also did the motorcycle safety classes way back to get my M1 endorsement and that helped heaps of being an "alert" biker.

That stuff is meant to teach swerving and stopping skills. His dirt riding background should have that ingrained in him. The biggest things to learn for the street are the mental aspects like continually scanning traffic and putting yourself in the safest position. One thing I see all the time is riders at stop signs/lights who stop too close to the car in front. Cars rear ending bikes is a common thing at stops, yet these dumbasses leave themselves no escape and they're probably not watching their mirrors anyway.:picard:
I'm sure there are tons of videos about safe street riding practices to watch and start planting the ideas in his head.

Yep, good point @Rolls. These are the things that we talk about all the time.
Blind spots, looking through, underneath, or at shadows for the car in front of the car in front of you, and watching it. Not trusting turn signals. Not looking at pretty girls, using the cell phone, or losing focus on the road and driving safely. Every time were in a car I'm teaching him these things. And it all transfers to a bike.

The "ALERT" biker is the key, if persuasion can't be won at an early age. I didn't give in, but can DS with my boys any time, as I made them take the same classes.