The Kid Rides the Crf 80

so this weekend was a trip with the family friends and my kids schoolmates and they had family in vegas so we all met half way @ Stoddard Wells. anytime i go up there i must have Freddys in Victorville and since my family has never had it before it was a must stop on the way....
CAM00245.jpg

the kid says its tied with his fav burger place but its like apples to oranges :lol:
so its off to camp now and i quickly conquer every hill i can see in the current vicinity... minus one that was way gnarly and really loose rocky stuff with turns.
CAM00249.jpg

so its pretty much just good times with friends put putting around with family minus a couple guy rides... one to SLash X for burger and beers and another serching for the actual Stoddard Well. slash x was found quickly but all i found of the well was this holding tank thing..
CAM00252.jpg

after that im back at camp and my wife says hey something is leaking out of the kids bike. so i take a look thinking the float bowl prolly got stuck or something and ohh no its oil... i take a look and find this on the bottom of the case....
4g1zdl.jpg

so a
20a4fiq.jpg

and some JB weld and about a hour later i had it running
CAM00262.jpg

after all of that and some more riding the princess got a lot of riding on the 50.

then we did a nice family ride to the tank i found cause i knew a easy route.

the group before we left.
60619_4793039020737_1822823543_n.jpg

once we got back the kid is earning to ride the 80 so i gear him up and first see if he can even start the bike. well since he cant even touch the ground unless he hangs off the side i see if he can do it standing next to the bike... nope... oph well dad will start it for ya :thumb: so hes on and he stauls, 2nd try takes off like a champ before mom is back with the camera and riding. I had told him when he needs to stop come to me and ill help but he wanted to do it on his own and did it perfectly not dumping the bike :rocker: Eventually he was shifting into 2nd gear and when he stands up hes only like a inch above the seat :lol: but check it out... some phone video of him rocking the 80
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqMXyuMduIk
i really need to get in shape and make some money cause im scared.... very scared.

It's the way of life Trav, he will be faster then you someday.:noidea: Cool report.:thumb: The actual well is on the hillside, a couple hundred yards away. As you're climbing the hill, it's on your right, and it is fenced, so you can't get to the water.

Sure is a lot of quads.:shocked:

60619_4793039020737_1822823543_n.jpg

My mouth is watering now.
CAM00245.jpg

yea they are all quad peoples and have been for a long time. apparently they are going to get their 18 year old son a dirtbike tho. :rocker: i like converting :P

:thumb: Sweet Trav on the family campout. Yeah you need to keep in shape so it takes awhile before the kids pass you and you are running sweep because you just can't keep up anymore....So far, I can keep my kid at bay, but I know one day he is going to be wheeliing past me.

:lol: would have been funny if i ran into you on sunday... i took off alone and it was the only time in the trip i hit up some ST. was pretty fun but not long enough.

The tanks were built in the 50's by Lee Berry (founder of the Slash X Ranch). There is the tank at Stoddard Wells (and also a metal tank nearer the well, if it's still there, I think some tweaker scrappers may have gotten to it), a tank SE of Hodge in a little canyon (this one is metal with cement covering), and a concrete tank NE of the Wild Wash offramp. As you are traveling on the 15 N of the Wild Wash exit, look to the East for a gap between the hills. S of the gap by about 1/4 mile is a smaller wash with green bushes visible from the freeway. This is a spring and the tank is towards the freeway from the spring. There are also a couple of old home foundations that pre-date the Lee Berry Era.

what I find most interesting is that while many people are aware of the Slash X Ranch and the ranching history of the area, Lee Berry only put cattle out on the Stoddard Open Area for two years. East of the Slash X Ranch (across 247) had cattle up until just a few years ago.

Okay boys, that's your History Lesson for the day......

Oh, if you are looking for the Hodge tank, get on the MORE course where it runs down in the wash just East of the gravel pit. Go South, up the wash and follow the course into the washed out side canyon on the left. MORE stopped using this route just over a year ago due to it being washed out, so it is still easy to find. The new course continues further South up the large wash. Up in the middle of the canyon there is a wide spot. Go right into the smaller canyon and stay right in the wash bottom. Tanks are just a little ways up the wash, and the wash peters out shortly after the tanks. If you look closely, you can also find some of the pipe that was put in to direct the water to the tank. There is a tank and a trough at this location. Both metal lined with cement.

That's awesome! Dillion is on his way up! And sister will get the hand me down bikes. Works out perfect!:thumb: Until sister is older and starts kicking ass, then she gets a new one to smoke her brother on:smirk:

Looks like a good time but are you sure you wernt in Quadalajara or Quadalupe?

Your pic just reminded me I need to put a coin back in my pack. For that matter and a few bucks to always have on hand for things like ice cream:icecream: