The Great 140 v.s. Jmach Battle of 2011

Can a utility quad climb hills just as well as a bike?

• Yes

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
In an effort to take control of the chatbox again i have started this thread to settle this agurement. Feel free to post your opinion's and make sure to vote on the poll to finally settle this thing.

1st Edit of many: Lets say the scenario is the same exact rider (that has experience on both), on completely stock but equivalent performance-wise machines and the same hill.

i dont know ive never actually watched a Utility quad hill climb competition. I would say to settle this arugement lets see some videos of both and the one that has the gnarlier hills that get conquered is the winner.

if u put a 450 dirtbike against a 450 quad, the dirtbike makes more power or top speed because of the weight difference, so its an automatic win for the bike i do believe, plus quads tend to like to flip backwards on hills

if u put a 450 dirtbike against a 450 quad, the dirtbike makes more power or top speed because of the weight difference, so its an automatic win for the bike i do believe, plus quads tend to like to flip backwards on hills

we said same power not size... Top speed isn't super important because on allot of hills there are obstacles, clutch, throttle, and body control are more important than top speed.

With a good rider a flip over isn't super likely..

I own both. I say the Utility 4wheeler can easily climb hills just as good if not better than a bike. My 4wheeler has four wheel drive it is a 400 cc and it's fast as hell. I have had it up to 60mph and then it gets too scary. I like riding bikes more and feel they are safer on hills due the weight factor but think my 4wheeler can climb any hill a bike can. But you take a pro rider against a newby quad rider then sure the bike may out climb the 4wheeler. I have had hills slicker than snot, all mud, and I can't make it up half way on my bike and my oldest son with very little 4wheeler experience climbed with no problem on my 4wheeler. Hell even my 11yo scares the crap out of me when takes it up hills I don't think he has enough experience to ride up. It just crawls up them effortlessly.

OK the thread says "Utility" quad. I have some hills in my backyard that a Utility quad is not going to make it up, but a "Sport" quad will. So I will say that I have a YFZ450 quad and a YZ450F dirt bike. I can ride them both pretty well I guess and I would say that I can clean any hill faster on my dirt bike than I can on my quad. Even in the dunes hitting a hill that is pretty smooth and steep. No paddles on either one and I will clean the hill faster on the dirt bike.

OK the thread says "Utility" quad. I have some hills in my backyard that a Utility quad is not going to make it up, but a "Sport" quad will. So I will say that I have a YFZ450 quad and a YZ450F dirt bike. I can ride them both pretty well I guess and I would say that I can clean any hill faster on my dirt bike than I can on my quad. Even in the dunes hitting a hill that is pretty smooth and steep. No paddles on either one and I will clean the hill faster on the dirt bike.

So a quad with four wheel drive will not make it up hills that a two wheel drive will make it up? How is that? I have rode both types and while the utility is much heavier and the sport will go faster and carries momentum the four wheel drive has the advantage of four wheels pulling instead of only two. You guys have sand out there, we have slippery slimmy mud out here that's when traction is king over speed or lightness.

So a quad with four wheel drive will not make it up hills that a two wheel drive will make it up? How is that? I have rode both types and while the utility is much heavier and the sport will go faster and carries momentum the four wheel drive has the advantage of four wheels pulling instead of only two. You guys have sand out there, we have slippery slimmy mud out here that's when traction is king over speed or lightness.

sometimes the weight disadvantage is grater then the 4 wheel drive advantage gives... also a motor is going to have to work a lot harder to get those 4 wheels spinning over just 1.

sometimes the weight disadvantage is grater then the 4 wheel drive advantage gives... also a motor is going to have to work a lot harder to get those 4 wheels spinning over just 1.

again tho, I have 400cc and it never feels like it is under powered or that it just does't have the muscle to pull it self out of anything. I also drag big ass farm disc around on my property with that thing like it aint shit. I have rode next to sport quads and I am telling you I can hang with them no problem as long as we are not jumping shit. It also has selectable 4 or 2 wheel button and there are major differences in the two. I know what 2 wheels can do vs. 4. trust me!