Body The Eight Dollar Fender Pack

Fender packs are great for carrying tools etc. Lately it seems that prices are going up, and quality down. My last brand name pack cost $30 and lasted 3 months before a seam let go.

One option is to make your own for less than ten bucks. Go to any Target, K Mart, etc. and look for toiletry bags - used to carry shaving stuff, toothpaste, that sort of stuff. Mine cost $7.99 at Target. Next you need to cut a thick piece of plastic for the bottom of the bag, leaving a 1/4" gap around the edge. I used an old plastic plate, aluminum sheet stock won't work, stress cracks will develop around the mounting holes in no time.Sand the edges of the plastic smooth so it won't wear through the pack, then place the plastic centered on the back fender and drill 3 holes in a triangle pattern for fastening. Next silicone or glue the plastic to the inside bottom of the pack, after the adhesive has dried, a piece of heated wire or coat hanger can be used to melt holes through the bag. For additional security, I used an old backpack strap wrapped around the pack, again melting holes in it for 2 of the bolts. Some bolts, washers and teflon locking nuts finish off the installation.

This bag works as good, if not better than the name brand products selling for three to four times the price, and can be built in under an hour.

FP-1.jpg

FP-2.jpg