All Terrible Slash X News

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those planning on attending the Cal 200 Memorial at Slash X this weekend. The owner of Slash X, Brian Lynn, was killed yesterday in a terrible car accident. The memorial will still be going on at 6PM on Saturday but there will be no festivities and Slash X will remain closed. Please respect the privacy of the Lynn family at this time.

BARSTOW: Head-on wreck kills 2, including local businessman

By PE News on August 12, 2011 7:01 AM

Yesterday's head-on collision along Highway 247 near Barstow killed both drivers, including a Barstow-area businessman, say San Bernardino County coroner's officials.
The wreck was reported at 2:25 p.m. Thursday about five miles south of Barstow.
"A northbound 2004 Toyota two-door drifted into the southbound traffic lane striking a silver Ford F-150 pickup truck driven by a local businessman," coroner's investigators said in a written statement. "The vehicles caught fire, and the driver of the ... Toyota was confirmed dead at the scene."
Based on the preliminary investigation, the Toyota driver is believed to be 41-year-old Abdul Matin Formoli of Sacramento.
A medical helicopter crew flew 62-year-old Brian Griffin Lynn of Barstow to Loma Linda University Medical Center where he died at 4:38 p.m. Lynn's wife was treated for her injuries at a local hospital.

— RICHARD BROOKS
rbrooks@PE.com

WOW, that's terrible news in deed..........and to think I've never been out there to experience it. I hope someone keeps it going at least in his memory! God Speed Brian Lynn!

That is really some sad news to hear. It makes you wonder how weird shit like this can happen. I have my own problems with head on collisions and people getting killed. :naughty:

Very sad. RIP! Prayers go out to the family. I have not been to Slash X in years. Loved that place. As Rez said, I hope they try and keep the place open down the road.

RIP. my thoughts are with the family.

Not being from Cali, I googled Slash X to see what it was, so am I correct in thinking this is restaurant out in the middle of the DEZ? Seems like it is a bike haven of sorts or something. Enlighten me on this guys.

RIP. my thoughts are with the family.

Not being from Cali, I googled Slash X to see what it was, so am I correct in thinking this is restaurant out in the middle of the DEZ? Seems like it is a bike haven of sorts or something. Enlighten me on this guys.

Yeah, it's located in the Stoddard Valley Open Area. You could stage anywhere in a 100 mile radius, and ride to the X for Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner. Brian was a great guy, and he will be missed.

I really hope that the place will keep going. Very Sad...

Like Timo said, Brian was one of the good guys. He will be missed.

This is a heartbreaking story. There are no words to describe how you feel when you hear about such a tragedy. Just hope his
wife recovers from this and is able to keep the business going. I mean what a great idea ! A diner in the middle of the desert and the majority
of your customers are off-road enthusiasts ? Is there, by any chance, a "Huskyburger" on the menu ? My heartfelt condolences to his
wife and family.

This was posted by Ryan Lynn, son of Brian and Gail, on the MDR CA 200 Memorial event page on Facebook.

Friends of the Slash X Ranch

On the afternoon of Thursday, August 11th our parents were on their way out to the Slash X. They were looking forward to another great weekend of off road fun. As they made their way out of town there was an accident. It was very severe and quickly Brian was air lifted to Loma Linda Hospital while Gail was rushed to Barstow Hospital.

While our mother remains in serious but stable condition at Arrowhead Hospital in Colton and is expected to make a full recovery, our father was not so lucky.

Brian Lynn passed away Thursday, August 11th 2011. He was loved by many.

As Brian was often heard saying; “Every weekend it’s like having an off road car show right outside my front door.” He loved the Slash X, and everyone that stopped in to visit was like an old friend to him. You were all a big part of our father’s life. Like many before him, our father has left an irremovable mark on history. Just as he used to talk with many of you about the history of the bar and the notable figures of its past, so too will we talk about him. He will be alive in our tales and stories of trips to the desert. With our father, everything had a story. Now, he is a part of many stories.

While an unexpected tragedy like this is hard to bare we take comfort in all the warm thoughts and wishes that have not stopped pouring in since word of this went out. We will be closing the Slash this weekend so we can mourn together as a family.

Arrangements are still being finalized and details will be posted here as we move through this process. We are asking that people not send flowers. Instead, we are asking that a donation be made to Fast-Aid. Our father really believed in this charity and we ask that you take a look. http://www.fast-aid.org/ There are easy and secure ways to make an online donation and anything would be appreciated

Welcome also. It would be very difficult to do what you do on a daily basis. God speed to the gentleman that died and prayers to a family that has been wrecked.:prof:

It's tough... I too live in the area... and 247 is a smooth, fast road. If you aren't paying attention while you blaze down the highway you could be toast in a mili-second. My buddies and I noted how weird it is that Brian Lynn was taken in such a needless way on the eve of a memorial at his place for others taken in a needless way. I don't know what it all means.. if anything. But I do know that the only change thats seems to have occured from the original tradgedy is HUGE fees for events being charged by BLM. Thanks MDR ! :thumb:

You got it all right rez... except one part. The promoter of the 200 ran races without the funds or staffing to git-r-done safely. It was never LIKE NASCAR... the trouble spots were and are WELL KNOWN. There just wasn't the imagination or apparant desire on the race promoters part to find ways to raise the cash needed to solve these safety issues. They ran for years on pure luck. Suing Sloppy makes NO SENSE. But any reasonable person that isn't thinking solely of their own interests as a spectator or low budget racer would never want that race promoter running another race EVER !

You got it all right rez... except one part. The promoter of the 200 ran races without the funds or staffing to git-r-done safely. It was never LIKE NASCAR... the trouble spots were and are WELL KNOWN. There just wasn't the imagination or apparant desire on the race promoters part to find ways to raise the cash needed to solve these safety issues. They ran for years on pure luck. Suing Sloppy makes NO SENSE. But any reasonable person that isn't thinking solely of their own interests as a spectator or low budget racer would never want that race promoter running another race EVER !

Those details I was unaware of however people wiol be people... I compare it to NASCAR because even if there was no fence to keep the debris inside and the people out...they would swarm the track. the closer the better, people don't think of safety...take ZOO Road for instacne in Baja...if you were to watch the spectators from the landing side of the jump they are almost across the track waitng for the cars to jum then they step back...It's all just a huge tragedy that shold never happen!

Then I think about those busy winter weekends, with all the f@#%heads that you have to smile at and put up with, and I realize just how great of a guy Brian was.
Isn't that the truth. All kinds of them come out of the woodwork and anyone who can smile and be friendly to them all is a truly good person.

Status
Not open for further replies.