Street bike problem.

I just bought a 2004 Yamaha FZ1. My problem is that when new, it is supposed to idle at neutral with the kick stand down. But now the only way it idles is if the kickstand is up, which is annoying for when I want to start the bike and let it warm up. Any ideas on what I can do?

I don't really know much about that system, But its probably some gear selection sensor of some sort. I'm sure big D will know more about it then me.

SRAD97750

Staff member
If it won't stay on with the kick stand down, then It doesn't sound like the neutral safety switch is working.
This is to prevent starting the bike, on the stand, in gear. it's an internal switch. And it should work with the neutral light.
Do you get a neutral light on the dash?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Most of us disable the side stand switch so you can do what you want. But there is a danger of dropping your bike that one time you're not actually in neutral and dump the clutch while on the stand... :picard:

On my interceptor there is a wire that goes on the case for the neutral selector that comes off easy. Check that first.

SICK ASS BIKE BTW. I get raging boners for fz1's and fz6's
hahaha thanks. I get one everytime I look at it, wonder what will happen when I get to ride it...? :lol:

If it won't stay on with the kick stand down, then It doesn't sound like the neutral safety switch is working.
This is to prevent starting the bike, on the stand, in gear. it's an internal switch. And it should work with the neutral light.
Do you get a neutral light on the dash?
nope, my light doesn't come on

SRAD97750

Staff member
nope, my light doesn't come on
BINGO! It could be as simple as changing the bulb. It could also be the switch mounted into the engine that has gone bad. Most likely the latter.

2 Choices.
Troubleshoot the bad neutral safety switch
or
Hotwire the kickstand switch to say it's always up. And be sure you're in neutral before you dump the clutch and swing your leg over simultaneously.

-BIG DAN:thumb:

BINGO! It could be as simple as changing the bulb. It could also be the switch mounted into the engine that has gone bad. Most likely the latter.

2 Choices.
Troubleshoot the bad neutral safety switch
or
Hotwire the kickstand switch to say it's always up. And be sure you're in neutral before you dump the clutch and swing your leg over simultaneously.

How would I change the bulb in my gauge? Where could I even buy such a little thing? And how do you know everything!?!?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Looking at your wiring diagram, it cannot be the bulb causing the neutral safety switch failure. I would pull the neutral switch from the engine and test it. This will be MILES easier than pulling your gauge cluster...
Take some photos and I can point you in the right direction. It'll be near the shifter mechanism at the engine.

P.S. I don't know everything. But I'm willing to learn anything.

will I have to tear lots of stuff off?
Looking at my wiring diagram!? Thanks man I cant comprehend those things they make my brain hurt